Age gap, marriage and residence permit - what to expect?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Tui

Post by Tui » Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:21 am

Hello and happy Midsummer!

I am looking for advice or maybe even mutuals. My partner (a US citizen) and I (Finnish) are planning to get married here in Finland in 2024 and start the application process for his first residence permit right afterwards. By that time we will have been in a (long-distance) relationship for just about three years.

It's only that thinking about what migri might think of us as a couple cranks up my stress levels every now and then: We have a 28-year age difference, him being in his 60s and me in my 30s. I have read and heard some unfortunate stories about age gap relationships being suspected by the officials and although I would assume that a US American with a steady income is rarely the main target when fishing out fake marriages, it still seems a bit more likely than average that our relationship could cause some raising of eyebrows. No, there isn't really anything eyebrow-raising - no great difference in income, social status or anything of the likes between us. We just wish to lead a happy, sustainable life at the edge of the woods somewhere in Finland. (My partner has not felt at home in the states for years so the choice of country was easy.)

Has anyone here been in a similar situation? How did things go for you? Were you invited to an interview when applying for the RP? If so, what kinds of questions were you asked and how much proof did they want to see about your keeping in touch and the times you had spent together in person?

We knew each other as pen-pals for about 6 months before calling it a relationship. Correspondence was frequent (weekly) and went on through various channels. After that, the contact has been daily or near daily with only occasional exceptions. We have met each other for three months twice now and will have another two to three months next winter before coming over to Finland to marry. Last winter, we spent Christmas at my parents' and the next time I will be meeting his family and friends.
There's no lack of documentation about skype and hangouts calls, IMs, paper letters, photos of times spent face to face... The more I think about it, the more I want to believe we won't face (m)any problems with migri but now that the new government wants to tighten immigration laws, I do feel a creeping anxiety at the back of my neck. Hoping it will prove to be an unnecessary fear, at least for now...!
Cheerio! :rainbow:

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

browndude

Re: Age gap, marriage and residence permit - what to expect?

Post by browndude » Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:26 am

Tui wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:21 am
Hello and happy Midsummer!

I am looking for advice or maybe even mutuals. My partner (a US citizen) and I (Finnish) are planning to get married here in Finland in 2024 and start the application process for his first residence permit right afterwards. By that time we will have been in a (long-distance) relationship for just about three years.

It's only that thinking about what migri might think of us as a couple cranks up my stress levels every now and then: We have a 28-year age difference, him being in his 60s and me in my 30s. I have read and heard some unfortunate stories about age gap relationships being suspected by the officials and although I would assume that a US American with a steady income is rarely the main target when fishing out fake marriages, it still seems a bit more likely than average that our relationship could cause some raising of eyebrows. No, there isn't really anything eyebrow-raising - no great difference in income, social status or anything of the likes between us. We just wish to lead a happy, sustainable life at the edge of the woods somewhere in Finland. (My partner has not felt at home in the states for years so the choice of country was easy.)

Has anyone here been in a similar situation? How did things go for you? Were you invited to an interview when applying for the RP? If so, what kinds of questions were you asked and how much proof did they want to see about your keeping in touch and the times you had spent together in person?

We knew each other as pen-pals for about 6 months before calling it a relationship. Correspondence was frequent (weekly) and went on through various channels. After that, the contact has been daily or near daily with only occasional exceptions. We have met each other for three months twice now and will have another two to three months next winter before coming over to Finland to marry. Last winter, we spent Christmas at my parents' and the next time I will be meeting his family and friends.
There's no lack of documentation about skype and hangouts calls, IMs, paper letters, photos of times spent face to face... The more I think about it, the more I want to believe we won't face (m)any problems with migri but now that the new government wants to tighten immigration laws, I do feel a creeping anxiety at the back of my neck. Hoping it will prove to be an unnecessary fear, at least for now...!
Cheerio! :rainbow:
Based on what you have written, I do not think it will be such a big issue from the legitimacy of marriage viewpoint. You are an Finnish adult in your 30s (already way too old for Danny :lol: ) so a 28-year age gap is no big deal. Also he is from the US and not from a "suspicious" country. Make sure to have all the evidence of your relationship at hand to present to the authorities if and when needed.
ImageImage

rinso

Post by rinso » Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:16 am

If you're already married when he applies, the only worry is a fake marriage indication. Apart from the age difference, there is nothing unusual in your relationship. You might get an interview and some critical questions, but nothing to worry about.

Tui

Post by Tui » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:48 pm

Thank you for your replies! They give me some more confidence.
We do want to get the residence permit on the grouds of family ties because registering a partnership really seems like the simplest way for my partner to move to Finland. He has retired early from his career of 30 years and isn't planning on seeking employment in the same field after moving in so that's ruled out as a visa or rp option.
We have both been in long distace relationships before so doing it like that for another couple of years even after marrying feels like too long a time. And traveling isn't very cheap! It would be great to be able to begin a life together sooner rather than later.

Thanks again! :rainbow: