Help needed for purchasing a EV

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Swapnilv

Post by Swapnilv » Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:39 pm

Hi
Any experienced people using an EV (electrical vehicle) may please answer my queries below:

1. What is the current charging rate per Kwh( approximate). What is a good reference point for the same to check the current rate. Any website
2. What is the cost of an installation for home charging at the place - where the outdoor parking lot assigned to us has a pole with normal winter heating plug( not sure If I am describing it correctly, but the one which goes to heat the engine in winter and has a timer to turn it on)
3. Are there any electricity contracts which favor home car charging?
4. Before I manage the home charging, does someone or someone whom you know manages the charging from external charging station and how is the experience summary ( cost wise)

Again, any help would be helpful. We are at the junction of replacing our old car and are deciding between an EV or an ICE.
Thank you in advance :)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Help needed for purchasing a EV

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:37 pm

Swapnilv wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:39 pm
1. What is the current charging rate per Kwh( approximate). What is a good reference point for the same to check the current rate. Any website
Are you interested in home charging or high powered charging? Fastned has good articles on charge curves and home charging is combination of car internal charger plus the EVSE installation.

https://support.fastned.nl/hc/en-gb/art ... 8313-Tesla
Swapnilv wrote:
2. What is the cost of an installation for home charging at the place - where the outdoor parking lot assigned to us has a pole with normal winter heating plug( not sure If I am describing it correctly, but the one which goes to heat the engine in winter and has a timer to turn it on)
Is this a housing company parking lot? You would have to coordinate with them on what is possible to install.
Swapnilv wrote:
3. Are there any electricity contracts which favor home car charging?
Spot rates.
Swapnilv wrote:
4. Before I manage the home charging, does someone or someone whom you know manages the charging from external charging station and how is the experience summary ( cost wise)
Check these sites for the situation near you:

https://latauskartta.fi
https://www.plugshare.com

Swapnilv

Post by Swapnilv » Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:09 am

Thanks a lot, those answers were very helpful :thumbsup:
With plugshare.com, I could now figure out that a local fitness club I am a member of offers a good 11kw connection which I could use while working out ( 3-4 a week for approx 80 mins) and could be able to top up the car battery sufficient enough for daily usage(I am not a daily commuter as I WFH) and an occasional topup at a fast charger location keeping in mind the battery charging cycle pattern for optimal charging.
betelgeuse wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:37 pm
Are you interested in home charging or high powered charging?
Home charging until I get it installed after discussing with the housing company. It is a new company/construction and they are very slow in taking decisions as of now.
Any pointers to who carries out the installation service? I assumed helen or other providers would do but I guess that is not the case. Do I need to ask any local electrician for an estimate or are there any well known brands who offer this service?
betelgeuse wrote:
Spot rates.
I hope the spot rates are exactly as I pay for my house or are they generally higher for car ports? ( casually asking, not that crucial at this point)

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:06 pm

Swapnilv wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:09 am
betelgeuse wrote:
Are you interested in home charging or high powered charging?
Home charging until I get it installed after discussing with the housing company. It is a new company/construction and they are very slow in taking decisions as of now.
Any pointers to who carries out the installation service? I assumed helen or other providers would do but I guess that is not the case. Do I need to ask any local electrician for an estimate or are there any well known brands who offer this service?
The thing is that in a bigger parking area usually dynamic power sharing needs to be used. This means that the housing company needs to contract with an operator to coordinate all installations. They might allow temporary solutions while there are only a few evs (this all depends on the electrical setup).
Swapnilv wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:09 am
betelgeuse wrote:
Spot rates.
I hope the spot rates are exactly as I pay for my house or are they generally higher for car ports? ( casually asking, not that crucial at this point)
The electrical companies make no difference based on what is behind the meters. However, you are not able to decide the contract yourself, if the parking spot electricity is behind a housing company meter (it would usually be in a separate parking area).

Ligence

Post by Ligence » Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:53 am

If you're considering getting an EV without the ability to charge at home, do keep in mind that some public chargers bill by kWh, some by time, and the rates for the time-based ones are naturally set by the maximum possible charging power...even if your car doesn't support that.

The most common type, AC chargers, are generally either 11kW or 22kW maximum. However, many EVs only have a ~7kW onboard charger, so paying by the minute for a 22kW charger but only getting 7kW makes the €/kWh rather high.

I basically never charge away from home, but once tried a higher power time-billed DC charger just to test it, and in a couple of minutes managed to get 1.3 kWh for 1.71 €.

Swapnilv

Post by Swapnilv » Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:04 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
The thing is that in a bigger parking area usually dynamic power sharing needs to be used. This means that the housing company needs to contract with an operator to coordinate all installations. They might allow temporary solutions while there are only a few evs (this all depends on the electrical setup).
Now I get it , the housing company dictates the charging solutions and I need to get permission for a temp solution if any and the spot prices or its negotiation would be done by the housing company and not me indiviudally. That's clarifies the whole picture regarding the setting up of charger :)
Ligence wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:53 am
The most common type, AC chargers, are generally either 11kW or 22kW maximum. However, many EVs only have a ~7kW onboard charger, so paying by the minute for a 22kW charger but only getting 7kW makes the €/kWh rather high.
Thanks for this info :thumbsup: :) , I was collecting info only about the nearest possible highest charging capacity. Good that 22KW won't suit for me either if they charge by time. If they charge by kWH its fine. The EV would be having a 11KW charge capacity so a 11KW or a lower outdoor charger would be needed.
I am planning to manage charging at the nearest sports club as I surely spent a hour and half 3-4 times a week.