severance pay

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
kelly1992

severance pay

Post by kelly1992 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:54 pm

Hi

I have an issue with erorahaa from my last job
severance pay. They supposted to pay 6 month of salary after determination of contract but they haven’t pay anything yet. I’m member of union but I haven’t got any answer from them ,too. Does any one knows about this law ??

severance pay

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: severance pay

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:58 pm

kelly1992 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:54 pm
severance pay. They supposted to pay 6 month of salary after determination of contract but they haven’t pay anything yet. I’m member of union but I haven’t got any answer from them ,too. Does any one knows about this law ??
Eroraha is compensation for unjustified termination, no compensation is paid after normal layoffs.

Who has determined that the termination was unjustified and set the compensation to 6 months of salary?

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:04 pm

kelly1992 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:54 pm
Hi

Call the union, they should be able to assist you since you're a member.

By default there is no severance pay as such. After an employment contract is terminated, there is a notice period of varying length (depending on how long the employment has lasted and whether the person resigns or the contract is terminated by the employer). One should expect to be paid only after the employment has ended, and not during the notice period.

On its own accord, the employer may free the employee from the obligation to work during the notice period, or there can be other offers, e.g., a severance pay if the employee resigns instead (freeing the employer from certain obligations compared to if they terminated the contract themselves). In addition to that, the employee must be able to use any outstanding vacation days or be compensated monetarily for them.

Lucaheiska

Post by Lucaheiska » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:59 pm

interesting ? i think you will get severance when you get fired when it's not your fault.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:16 am

Lucaheiska wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:59 pm
interesting ? i think you will get severance when you get fired when it's not your fault.
Possibly you are confusing severance pay ("eroraha") with the pay for the notice period. For the duration of the notice period, an employee is still obligated to work, unless the employer decides otherwise. By default, the employee continues to work and receiving pay as before until the work actually ends. After that, any unused vacation days are paid (compensated monetarily) and that's it.

A severance pay is something in addition to that, which may be written in the employment contract (usually only for those in a leading position, also other terms often being different, e.g., no defined working hours, no notice period). Also, some companies, when downsizing, offer additional incentive to employees that resign themselves.