Residence permit procedure (intimate relationship)

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
brubc

Post by brubc » Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:04 pm

I´m native to Brazil and live in Portugal, I have a residence that was issued by Portugal for countries that speak the Portuguese language. I want to apply for a residence permit but the Finnish embassy in Portugal is not accepting my residency because it is not a card but a paper. So I'm thinking about going back to Brazil to apply there

I would like to know about the procedures, how many times do I have to go to the embassy in person? And if they call me for an interview, how long do I have to attend?

Because I would go to Brazil just to apply for a residence permit and then return to Portugal, as I know the process takes time, I would go back if they called me there again or if it was all online it would be better.

Could anyone clear this doubt for me?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Auringon_kukka

Re: Residence permit procedure (intimate relationship)

Post by Auringon_kukka » Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:40 pm

brubc wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:04 pm
I´m native to Brazil and live in Portugal, I have a residence that was issued by Portugal for countries that speak the Portuguese language. I want to apply for a residence permit but the Finnish embassy in Portugal is not accepting my residency because it is not a card but a paper. So I'm thinking about going back to Brazil to apply there

I would like to know about the procedures, how many times do I have to go to the embassy in person? And if they call me for an interview, how long do I have to attend?

Because I would go to Brazil just to apply for a residence permit and then return to Portugal, as I know the process takes time, I would go back if they called me there again or if it was all online it would be better.

Could anyone clear this doubt for me?
Typically, when you are applying for a first residence permit outside Finland, you normally visit the Finnish embassy once (you have to make an appointment in advance). At the appointment they will confirm your identity (passport) and take your fingerprints (as happened in my case). You would also apply for the residence permit online and pay the fee online as well.

I hope that helps.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:04 am

Auringon_kukka wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:40 pm
Typically, when you are applying for a first residence permit outside Finland, you normally visit the Finnish embassy once (you have to make an appointment in advance). At the appointment they will confirm your identity (passport) and take your fingerprints (as happened in my case). You would also apply for the residence permit online and pay the fee online as well.

I hope that helps.
It’s also cheaper to start the process online:

https://enterfinland.fi/eServices

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:09 am

betelgeuse wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:04 am
Auringon_kukka wrote:

I hope that helps.

Apparently the portal does not support intimare relationship applications yet.

”You cannot apply for this permit in the e-service”

https://migri.fi/en/intimate-relationship

It’s still curious that the embassy would not allow applications. The principle is that everyone should be able to submit applications. I would email Migri.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:34 am

I would go to Finland and apply from inside the country. You are allowed to wait there while your permit application is processing or you can easily return to Portugal if needed.

SecretCode

Post by SecretCode » Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:33 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:09 am
Apparently the portal does not support intimare relationship applications yet.

”You cannot apply for this permit in the e-service”

https://migri.fi/en/intimate-relationship

It’s still curious that the embassy would not allow applications. The principle is that everyone should be able to submit applications. I would email Migri.
The response may well be "we get so few of this kind of application". Certainly as of the beginning of this year, it still required a paper application.

brubc

Post by brubc » Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:38 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:04 am
Auringon_kukka wrote:

I hope that helps.

Exactly enterfinland.fi does not accept requesting relationship permission online for other reasons

brubc

Post by brubc » Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:41 pm

I managed to speak to the embassy again and speak to another person in charge and they allowed me to send it to the Portuguese embassy.

Could you tell me how long the process took?

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:08 pm

brubc wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:04 pm
I´m native to Brazil and live in Portugal, I have a residence that was issued by Portugal for countries that speak the Portuguese language. I want to apply for a residence permit but the Finnish embassy in Portugal is not accepting my residency because it is not a card but a paper.
betelgeuse wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:09 am
It’s still curious that the embassy would not allow applications. The principle is that everyone should be able to submit applications.
You miss the problem:
Migri wrote: Document showing that you are legally staying in the country where you submit the application
It shouldn't happen that the Finnish embassy rejects a document issued and accepted by the local government, but that apparently happened here.