Your biggest struggles after moving to Finland?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Shidi181

Re: Your biggest struggles after moving to Finland?

Post by Shidi181 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:42 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:56 pm
Shidi181 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:40 pm
for me it is the social isolation. I am 98% of the time in the house and other 2% is dropping my kid at school and going to a grocery store now and then. It is very lonely here as it is difficult to make a friend.
Are you living in a tiny place in the middle of nowhere or are you living in Helsinki and just haven't yet found where to meet people?

Did you register as unemployed?
This should give you an integration plan with a language course.
Thanks for the tips I live in a house we are in Jakobstad

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Auringon_kukka

Post by Auringon_kukka » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:45 pm

Shidi181 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:40 pm
My biggest struggle was and still is my autisic son settling in we are here now for 3 months he is in a daycare now and is liking the routine he has now and then for me it is the social isolation. I am 98% of the time in the house and other 2% is dropping my kid at school and going to a grocery store now and then. It is very lonely here as it is difficult to make a friend.
Hi there... I see that you are in Jakobstad/Pietarsaari. I understand that Swedish is more common in that area. Do you speak Swedish? If not, you could always see if any language courses are on offer locally. If there are none, you could consider online options. Language classes are a great way to "meet" other people and break out of social isolation, if only for a few hours a week. Still, learning a language can open doors and introduce you to new people.

My two cents' worth...

slpage

Post by slpage » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:01 am

We moved during the first lockdown, and our social world hasn't really picked up since, either. One part of it is having a small kid, the other part of it is just struggling to spend enough time with people to feel like you've made a connection of any depth. My partner is Finnish, but didn't grow up here so is figuring out the place at the same time.

The integration courses were ... well, one was good, fine. The other one was a waste of tax payers money.

Kregian

Post by Kregian » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:58 pm

i just moved to finland like 2 weeks ago and don't laugh at me but my issue was the garbage. :lol:

i initially spent a couple of days in Helsinki, and i was very surprised by the lack of rubbish bins. they could be found here and there, but very, very far between! i am used to having lots of those available in public spaces, ended up walking around with an empty water bottle or dirty napkin in my pocket quite a lot.

and then there was the issue of figuring out my building's garbage place. in Helsinki, i never did find it; ended up taking my small amount of (sorted, gotta recycle!) trash to some public recycling bins. then i moved to tampere, got handed a single key to an apartment, and this key did not open the recycling bins close by, nor the ones on the other side of the building. which was an issue, because i am actually living and cooking and stuff here, not like in helsinki where i stayed only briefly and mostly ate out, so i here i actually have a decent amount of trash to throw out. also the biowaste bin mentioned something about biodegradable paper bags?? which i had not seen for sale anywhere. what mysterious bags were these, i wondered.

ended up asking about it online, which helped me figure out that what i thought was a place to dry laundry actually contained my building's recycling bins, my key worked perfectly on that door :lol: and i was also told about the recyclable plastic-y bags, so i finally took a proper look at the plastic trash bags section and immediately found them :roll:

agroot

Post by agroot » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:13 pm

Kregian wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:58 pm
and then there was the issue of figuring out my building's garbage place. in Helsinki, i never did find it; ended up taking my small amount of (sorted, gotta recycle!) trash to some public recycling bins. then i moved to tampere, got handed a single key to an apartment, and this key did not open the recycling bins close by, nor the ones on the other side of the building. which was an issue, because i am actually living and cooking and stuff here, not like in helsinki where i stayed only briefly and mostly ate out, so i here i actually have a decent amount of trash to throw out. also the biowaste bin mentioned something about biodegradable paper bags?? which i had not seen for sale anywhere. what mysterious bags were these, i wondered.

ended up asking about it online, which helped me figure out that what i thought was a place to dry laundry actually contained my building's recycling bins, my key worked perfectly on that door :lol: and i was also told about the recyclable plastic-y bags, so i finally took a proper look at the plastic trash bags section and immediately found them :roll:
I wash up biowaste, leave bones in mixed, then cut the rest into tiny pieces and dump into toilet in American style. Plastics contaminated with smell are washed and sealed in those not so airtight bags.

Once I saw a neighbor dumping her biowaste from a bin and the smell was absolutely disgusting.

Kregian

Post by Kregian » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:04 pm

agroot wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:13 pm
Kregian wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:58 pm

I wash up biowaste, leave bones in mixed, then cut the rest into tiny pieces and dump into toilet in American style. Plastics contaminated with smell are washed and sealed in those not so airtight bags.

Once I saw a neighbor dumping her biowaste from a bin and the smell was absolutely disgusting.
if you don't mind, i have a question: what is the difference between biowaste and mixed waste? my building's bins don't include a mixed one, but i saw one with those other bins i couldn't open.

SecretCode

Post by SecretCode » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:08 am

Kregian wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:04 pm
if you don't mind, i have a question: what is the difference between biowaste and mixed waste? my building's bins don't include a mixed one, but i saw one with those other bins i couldn't open.
Biowaste is mainly food waste that can be fully biodegraded (composted). This includes food waste, fruit and vegetable peels, coffee grounds and tea bags, tissue paper. Agroot excludes bones because they are harder to compost, but I don't see bones mentioned in the guidance.

Mixed waste (sekajäte) is anything that doesn't fall into other categories. It goes to landfill or energy recovery in a waste-to-energy plant.

You can read more at Rosk'n Roll specifically this pdf

Kregian

Post by Kregian » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:06 pm

SecretCode wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:08 am
Kregian wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:04 pm
Biowaste is mainly food waste that can be fully biodegraded (composted). This includes food waste, fruit and vegetable peels, coffee grounds and tea bags, tissue paper. Agroot excludes bones because they are harder to compost, but I don't see bones mentioned in the guidance.

Mixed waste (sekajäte) is anything that doesn't fall into other categories. It goes to landfill or energy recovery in a waste-to-energy plant.

You can read more at Rosk'n Roll specifically this pdf
alright, i get it now, thank you for the answer!

agroot

Post by agroot » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:36 pm

Lemon and orange peels, used tea bags and coffee grounds can be left to dry and put into mixed waste or fridge to freshen the smells.

Biowaste is either useful or disgusting. No way I'd keep those at home. I wish there is a mixer under kitchen sink to grind everything. Maybe it's no illegal to buy from us?