US citizen marrying a Finnish citizen in the church

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
cbell2001

Post by cbell2001 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:12 pm

So I'm a US citizen engaged to a wonderful Finnish man. We are going to marry and reside in Finland. He wants to get married in the church, and to do this, I am trying to get membership in a church here in the states. I was a baptized and became a member of a church years ago, but I've since moved and lost that membership.

My big question is once I get my membership certificate etc., what church-related documents do I need to send in with our Impediments to Marriage paperwork to prove I am part of a church? I assume a copy of the membership is all that's needed and not a baptism certificate too?

No websites are giving information, and frankly, I've read so many different things that I could've seen the answer somewhere and just not registered it. I'm so overwhelmed by everything and just feel like I'm losing my mind.

Any help (or encouragement!) would be appreciated. It's hard doing this from halfway around the world, and I don't have much support here to help me with all this.

Thanks!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: US citizen marrying a Finnish citizen in the church

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:26 pm

cbell2001 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:12 pm
So I'm a US citizen engaged to a wonderful Finnish man. We are going to marry and reside in Finland. He wants to get married in the church, and to do this, I am trying to get membership in a church here in the states. I was a baptized and became a member of a church years ago, but I've since moved and lost that membership.

My big question is once I get my membership certificate etc., what church-related documents do I need to send in with our Impediments to Marriage paperwork to prove I am part of a church? I assume a copy of the membership is all that's needed and not a baptism certificate too?

No websites are giving information, and frankly, I've read so many different things that I could've seen the answer somewhere and just not registered it. I'm so overwhelmed by everything and just feel like I'm losing my mind.

Any help (or encouragement!) would be appreciated. It's hard doing this from halfway around the world, and I don't have much support here to help me with all this.
"Jos vain toinen on jäsen, on toisen kuuluttava johonkin kristilliseen uskontokuntaan Suomessa tai ulkomailla esim. ortodoksinen tai katolinen kirkko ja tästä on oltava todistus tai henkilön oma vakuutus."

Seems like any paperwork will go as you can also self certify. https://naimisiinkirkossa.fi/vihkimisen-ukk/

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:36 pm

cbell2001 wrote:

My big question is once I get my membership certificate etc., what church-related documents do I need to send in with our Impediments to Marriage paperwork to prove I am part of a church?
Note that these two are unrelated.

DVV examines impediments to marriage, whether you two are legally allowed to marry.
They don't care about your church membership for the marriage.
cbell2001 wrote:
Your future spouse might check with his church/pastor what is required from you.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:56 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:36 pm
cbell2001 wrote:

My big question is once I get my membership certificate etc., what church-related documents do I need to send in with our Impediments to Marriage paperwork to prove I am part of a church?
Note that these two are unrelated.

DVV examines impediments to marriage, whether you two are legally allowed to marry.
They don't care about your church membership for the marriage.
Legally separate questions but someone planning to get married in a church would usually have the church investigate the impediments. Both the church and DVV are competent.