Discussing Groceries Stores & Prices

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
hasan4074

Post by hasan4074 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:53 pm

Hi, I'm pretty new in Finland. I have been doing groceries mainly from Prisma, S-Market and Lidl. From my experience, Lidl is the cheapest, Prisma comes next. But I'm wondering if there are some tricks in groceries, like any special discount hours or something in any stores. Or what tips and tricks you can give me to save costs in groceries? Which store is best considering price and quality?

Furthermore, S-market has its own website from where I can see the prices before visiting the shop. Is there any sites for Prisma or Lidl to see their products & prices? I've searched but did not find any. Although I think S-market and Prisma has the same products and value but I might be wrong.

Anyway, thank you for your suggestions. Kiitos paljon.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

riku2

Re: Discussing Groceries Stores & Prices

Post by riku2 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:41 pm

My best tip is to buy the bread which is almost at its sell by date. If you find the right shop they will set a bag with about 8 packets of bread for 2e. If you put it in the freezer straight away it's as good as paying full price. A few weeks ago I had a bag like this with two Runebergs cakes included and those alone would be over 3e.
The supermarkets differ in how generous they are with this kind of offer. S chain are doing cardboard trays with only 3-4 packets of bread at this price. My local K supermarket is the best with about 8 packets of bread in the bag, but on a good day they will have a trolley the other side of the checkout and you can take for free.
The Ullan Pakkari bakery next to the Tampere motorway is also good for bread although their offers vary. The best i've had is a large plastic bag with about 12 unwrapped medium sized round rye breads inside. They are normally 2.50e for three but the large bag was about 5e for twelve (they were not very tidily cut so perhaps this was the reason for the large discount).

S chain has 30% discount stickers on products near their shelf life and some stores double this during the last hour of trading to 60%. But not all stores explicitly mention the doubling (eg S market Tapiola).

hasan4074

Post by hasan4074 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:22 pm

riku2 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:41 pm
My best tip is to buy the bread which is almost at its sell by date. If you find the right shop they will set a bag with about 8 packets of bread for 2e. If you put it in the freezer straight away it's as good as paying full price. A few weeks ago I had a bag like this with two Runebergs cakes included and those alone would be over 3e.
The supermarkets differ in how generous they are with this kind of offer. S chain are doing cardboard trays with only 3-4 packets of bread at this price. My local K supermarket is the best with about 8 packets of bread in the bag, but on a good day they will have a trolley the other side of the checkout and you can take for free.
The Ullan Pakkari bakery next to the Tampere motorway is also good for bread although their offers vary. The best i've had is a large plastic bag with about 12 unwrapped medium sized round rye breads inside. They are normally 2.50e for three but the large bag was about 5e for twelve (they were not very tidily cut so perhaps this was the reason for the large discount).

S chain has 30% discount stickers on products near their shelf life and some stores double this during the last hour of trading to 60%. But not all stores explicitly mention the doubling (eg S market Tapiola).
Thanks for the great tips.

kiwifruithelicopter

Post by kiwifruithelicopter » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:47 am

riku2 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:41 pm
The Ullan Pakkari bakery next to the Tampere motorway is also good for bread although their offers vary. The best i've had is a large plastic bag with about 12 unwrapped medium sized round rye breads inside. They are normally 2.50e for three but the large bag was about 5e for twelve (they were not very tidily cut so perhaps this was the reason for the large discount). geometry dash lite

This is really not a bad idea

Auringon_kukka

Post by Auringon_kukka » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:21 am

hasan4074 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:53 pm
Hi, I'm pretty new in Finland. I have been doing groceries mainly from Prisma, S-Market and Lidl. From my experience, Lidl is the cheapest, Prisma comes next. But I'm wondering if there are some tricks in groceries, like any special discount hours or something in any stores. Or what tips and tricks you can give me to save costs in groceries? Which store is best considering price and quality?

Furthermore, S-market has its own website from where I can see the prices before visiting the shop. Is there any sites for Prisma or Lidl to see their products & prices? I've searched but did not find any. Although I think S-market and Prisma has the same products and value but I might be wrong.

Anyway, thank you for your suggestions. Kiitos paljon.
You can also download the ResQ Club app to score food from local restaurants and grocery stores at reduced prices. I use it from time to time for variety.