Citizenship Application 2022

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Uskomaton

Re: Citizenship Application 2022

Post by Uskomaton » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:07 pm

The new law proposal will change 4 year to 5 year for language test passers. I am afraid, they will think that your intention is to bypass the new law proposal and they won't allow that. You need to wait for residence time to be fulfilled. Or if you want to take a risk and potentially waste 490 euros, please go ahead. It is up to you.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Drink7up

Post by Drink7up » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:35 am

Uskomaton wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:07 pm
The new law proposal will change 4 year to 5 year for language test passers. I am afraid, they will think that your intention is to bypass the new law proposal and they won't allow that. You need to wait for residence time to be fulfilled. Or if you want to take a risk and potentially waste 490 euros, please go ahead. It is up to you.
Yes i was thinking about that but as i have heard the new law will be about the people who are applying for a citizenship on a language base which will be turned to 5 years maybe.
But i am applying on the basis that my spouse is a finnish citizen which will stay 4 years most probably.
My only concern is that when i calculate my time on their website using their approx time checker then it shows that i will get a citizenship in approximately 30 months because i select the option “i came to finland before getting an RP in advance” which is true because i could travel freely in europe as i was already in poland and i just took a flight and came because i had a visa of another eu country.
And if i select that i came to finland with a finnish RP then it comes down to 8-20 months. Which is not true in my case as i did not need an RP to come to Finland. (Btw i am not an eu citizen)
And the biggest concern is that if it takes 30 months for me to get a citizenship and i already have all the docs shouldn’t i just go for it, because i have read it in so many posts that it literally stays on the first step for atleast 9 months these days and my 4 years will complete in 9 months.

just_passing_by

Post by just_passing_by » Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:02 am

Drink7up wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:35 am
Yes i was thinking about that but as i have heard the new law will be about the people who are applying for a citizenship on a language base which will be turned to 5 years maybe.
But i am applying on the basis that my spouse is a finnish citizen which will stay 4 years most probably.
My only concern is that when i calculate my time on their website using their approx time checker then it shows that i will get a citizenship in approximately 30 months because i select the option “i came to finland before getting an RP in advance” which is true because i could travel freely in europe as i was already in poland and i just took a flight and came because i had a visa of another eu country.
And if i select that i came to finland with a finnish RP then it comes down to 8-20 months. Which is not true in my case as i did not need an RP to come to Finland. (Btw i am not an eu citizen)
And the biggest concern is that if it takes 30 months for me to get a citizenship and i already have all the docs shouldn’t i just go for it, because i have read it in so many posts that it literally stays on the first step for atleast 9 months these days and my 4 years will complete in 9 months.
You can check the question 7 from the FAQ: https://migri.fi/en/faq-finnish-citizenship.
You can apply for the citizenship before you've reached full 4 years of residence.
Yes, it is not advisable and it is risky, however they explicitly state that it is allowed.

IMO, the shortest processing time Migri shows in their calculator is 7 months.
I would wait for a 2-3 months more so that you apply 6-7 months before your residence period reaches 4 years.

Uskomaton

Post by Uskomaton » Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:08 am

Drink7up wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:35 am
Uskomaton wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:07 pm
Spouse of a Finnish Citizen also increases to 5 years unless your spouse works in a Finnish Mission abroad, then it is proposed to be 2 or 3 years, I don't remember.

Drink7up

Post by Drink7up » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:33 pm

So i sent an email to migri asking about the queues and the list everyone keeps talking about and i received this answer

Hi,

and thank you for your message.

It´s true that citizenship applications are sorted in different queues. These queues are formed based on, among other factors, the type of residence permit the applicants have. The list of countries we previously had is no longer used.

Since you first came to Finland without a residence permit, counting your time of residence starts from the day you received your first residence permit. As you received your first residence permit in jan 2022, your time of residence will be up in jan 2026. The impeding change in law might effect the time of residence required for citizenship. You can keep an eye on our website for up to date information of the law change and the possible changes in the requirements in your case.

When processing the citizenship application, we will find out if the requirements are met. You will find more information on the reguirements here Citizenship for adults | Maahanmuuttovirasto (migri.fi) We will look up Finnish records but for instance criminal records are checked more widely.

I hope this answers your questions; you find more information on our website Permits and citizenship | Maahanmuuttovirasto (migri.fi)

Best regards