Working restrictions under intimate relationship RP (UK National)

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
msoton

Post by msoton » Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:00 pm

Hi all!

So, bit of background/context! Am a UK national, currently in a long distance relationship with a Finnish national who resides in Finland. Am exploring options of moving there which has naturally become a lot more complex since Brexit (what a gift! :lol:)

Considering our circumstances, I have been looking at the intimate relationship RP however I note the working restrictions on this are quite tight compared to say, a spouse visa for instance, taken from https://migri.fi/en/intimate-relationship:

"If your residence permit was granted to you on the basis of your dating relationship, your right to work is restricted. However, you have the right to work in the following positions:

In expert duties that require special expertise. Your salary must be at least the same as the average wage-earner’s gross earnings in Finland (EUR 3,473 per month in 2023).
In the top or middle management of a company.
In an international organisation or in duties concerning official cooperation between states.
As a professional athlete, coach, or sports referee.
Professionally in the field of culture or the arts.
In the service of a religious community in a position that involves practising the religion."

I have numerous years of experience within the restaurant/hospitality industry and naturally this is usually an industry that is quite desperate for staff; however, I presume I would be unable to work in such a job under the intimate relationship RP, correct?

In which case, would people recommend going down the route of the work visa (which may be a challenge if trying to get such a role above if applying from outside the country) or is getting married the best route under the circumstances?

Or can I move there under the intimate relationship RP and then change this to a work or spouse visa midway through the year?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Working restrictions under intimate relationship RP (UK National)

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:31 am

msoton wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:00 pm
Or can I move there under the intimate relationship RP and then change this to a work or spouse visa midway through the year?
You can apply for another type of residence permit whenever and be granted one when you satisfy the conditions.

BelleDC

Post by BelleDC » Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:03 pm

Hey, I am in Finland on the intimate relationship permit.

1. You can't work outside of the restrictions. You will need the savings to support yourself.

2. Personally I have waited till I've lived with my boyfriend for 2 years and applied for the spouse visa (no wedding required). If you did this route, I would advise lodging the application for that permit at approx 6 months in advance.

3. You can change permit at any time (extended permit). It just won't come through very promptly unless there are other reasons.

4. Finding work will not necessarily be easy without Finnish. You will want to begin learning asap and keep at it.

Any other questions, feel free to ask!

quillcentaur

Post by quillcentaur » Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:44 pm

msoton wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:00 pm
Hi all!

So, bit of background/context! Am a UK national, currently in a long distance relationship with a Finnish national who resides in Finland. Am exploring options of moving there which has naturally become a lot more complex since Brexit (what a gift! :lol:)

Considering our circumstances, I have been looking at the intimate relationship RP however I note the working restrictions on this are quite tight compared to say, a spouse visa for instance, taken from https://migri.fi/en/intimate-relationship:

"If your residence permit was granted to you on the basis of your dating relationship, your right to work is restricted. However, you have the right to work in the following positions:

In expert duties that require special expertise. Your salary must be at least the same as the average wage-earner’s gross earnings in Finland (EUR 3,473 per month in 2023).
In the top or middle management of a company.
In an international organisation or in duties concerning official cooperation between states.
As a professional athlete, coach, or sports referee.
Professionally in the field of culture or the arts.
In the service of a religious community in a position that involves practising the religion."

I have numerous years of experience within the restaurant/hospitality industry and naturally this is usually an industry that is quite desperate for staff; however, I presume I would be unable to work in such a job under the intimate relationship RP, correct?

In which case, would people recommend going down the route of the work visa (which may be a challenge if trying to get such a role above if applying from outside the country) or is getting married the best route under the circumstances?

Thanks for your help!
Damn Brexit eh? Honestly mate getting married is the easiest route. If you’re sure you like this person, just go get married at maistraatti. Takes 5 minutes or so. You’ll just need to show some papers that you’re not married in uk etc. You can easily see the info on maistraatti website

Intimate relationship rp decision can take so long for many. Because govt is not sure about you.

Of course there’s the 2 year cohabitation route but if you wanna work right away, married is the easiest route for this one.