Hello to all!

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
champdave

Hello to all!

Post by champdave » Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:02 pm

Hello to all, I am new on this forum. I actually stumbled across this forum when searching for info on English passports. (don't ask) I currently live in France on the Côte d'azur in south-east France and am a student doing the international baccaleureat. I plan to move to Finland in a couple of years to go to Helsinki University. I am fluent in English (I was born in Liverpool and spent 15 years of my life in England before moving here) and French. I speak a little Finnish as I have a Finnish friend at school that started teaching me the language. I also speak a bit of Danish, for the same reason. (although it's a Danish friend that is teaching me Danish, not the same Finn!)

I hope to . . . I don't know. Have fun and learn some stuff whilst at it? :)

ImageImageImage

Hello to all!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

luddite

Post by luddite » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:15 pm

Only joking, welcome to the board ;-) Im from North West England too.

champdave

Post by champdave » Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:30 pm

SediaAmore

Post by SediaAmore » Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:46 am

sedia
Last edited by SediaAmore on Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:41 am

How come you are doing the IB in France? Is that in a private lycee ? I thought St Germain en Laye was the only state school offering IB in France. My own kids were all born in France and are now in a Finnish state school here but the curriculum is taught in English, they have upkeep French and I really hope they can maintain their bilingualism (and learn some Finnish too...)

FYI there is also a French language forum on http://www.ranska.net but it isn't as "busy" as this one.

Keep in touch!

champdave

Post by champdave » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:03 pm

penelope wrote:How come you are doing the IB in France? Is that in a private lycee ? I thought St Germain en Laye was the only state school offering IB in France. My own kids were all born in France and are now in a Finnish state school here but the curriculum is taught in English, they have upkeep French and I really hope they can maintain their bilingualism (and learn some Finnish too...)

FYI there is also a French language forum on http://www.ranska.net but it isn't as "busy" as this one.

Keep in touch!
I go to CIV (centre international de valbonne) which is a "hybrid" school: the French section (bac, BOI) is public but the IB section is private, yes.

I'd prefer this forum too as I am naturally English, and I can feel my English is slipping away from me! (but hopefully it will stay until I can pass my English A1 bac test!)

Thanks to everyone, and can anyone suggest a good way of learning finnish? I have a couple of good books and a couple of Finnish friends (on the internet and at school) and I'd say I was learning about 10-30 new words a day. Does anyone have any other tried and tested methods, as some Finnish words are very different to the English/French equivalents.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:50 pm

champdave wrote: Does anyone have any other tried and tested methods, as some Finnish words are very different to the English/French equivalents.
"...some..." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Andrew_S

Post by Andrew_S » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:38 am

about 10-30 new words a day
At that rate you'll have a good vocab after a year or so. Keep studying, it gets easier later on. The vocab is hard at first because nearly all the words are completely different. But Finnish has a lot of compound words and adapts roots to form new words, so after learning 2-3000 words you'll find it gets easier to expand your vocab.
Image Image