Is it a sane option?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
b24s

Is it a sane option?

Post by b24s » Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:20 am

Hey everyone..well im new to this. But gonna exhaust every avenue in the pursuit of some help or infomation. I moving to Turku in january, from australia, and have no idea how to go about looking for work. I have a degree in asian relations(i know no help hehe)....but am doing some teaching work here now....Is moving to Turku a sain idea fro someone who only has basic finnish skills?????????cheers Brett

Is it a sane option?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Ace

Post by Ace » Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:41 am

Brett wrote:Is moving to Turku a sain idea fro someone who only has basic finnish skills?????????
Depends if you can support yourself whilst unemloyed for a long period of time. You should be prepared to not find work for 6 months to a year.

Sorry to bring doom and gloom but thats the reality here for a non Finnish/Swedish speaker.
Last edited by Ace on Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

PeterF

Re: Is it a sane option?

Post by PeterF » Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:45 am

b24s wrote:Is moving to Turku a sane idea fro someone who only has basic finnish skills?????????cheers Brett
Well you have a better opportunities there then in Savolinna (unless you sing opera) and better than in Rovaniemi (Unless you have a long whíte beard and red nosed reindeer).
Australian...um..could try to treach cricket to the locals... :wink:
Turku is not the usual first choice place of residence for job seakers but
I assume that there is some reason why you chose to move to Turku...perhaps :wink: blue eyes and blond :wink:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Re: Is it a sane option?

Post by Hank W. » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:42 am

b24s wrote:Is moving to Turku a sain idea fro someone who only has basic finnish skills
Well, don't count on getting a job as an English teacher either necessarily, even you have the diplomas.

BTW, "Asian Relations" is actually good here. There are everal companies doing business to Asia, but language/culture is the obstacle.

As always, if you are under 25, have 10 years of work experience in management position and speak fluent Chinese and Swahili, you're hot...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

demian

Post by demian » Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:58 pm

Hi, Brett, and you all!!

I'm also a newcomer to this great forum (If only I had found it one year ago...), but have been living for some 8 months in... Turku! (Now I'm planning on moving from Spain to Helsinki)

Regarding Turku I'm afraid I have to agree with those who say getting a job there -as anywhere else in Suomi- with little/no Finnish skills is no easy task (though not impossible, of course), not even teaching English. Hopefully English being your mother tongue might make it easier, though Turku is not such a huge place (as compared to Helsinki).

All hope is not lost, though (sorry for being so pesimistic, but it's quite tough). I DID get a one off job for one month in a marketing reseach company translating and making telephone surveys (Portuguese-English and vice versa). So... language skills (if you have) could be useful (but bear in mind most companies in the business will ask for Finnish as well.)
I'm sorry I cannot be of more help (maybe I've drawn a slightly darker scenario than that you'll find. Let's hope so).

Best of luck. It's a nice town (which, for some reason, seems to divide people between those who love it and those who hate it), enjoy your time there an be patient!

Regards to you all,
Demián
ImageImageImage