Foreigners right??

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Marjan

Foreigners right??

Post by Marjan » Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:41 pm

Hope any of you can help me with this;

My boyfriend's sister was saying that foreigners that come to Finland, need to have a job within 3 months. If you don't you need to have proof of enough savings (something like 3-500 Pounds at that time) and that they will do an Interpol check on you and you need to have a clean record. Even having a partner with a job apparently doesn't make a difference.

Does anyone else know about this? Is it all true?

Thanks!
Marjan.

Foreigners right??

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

gavin

Post by gavin » Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:55 pm

If you come here without a partner or a job, then you have to have about 5000 EUROs in a Finnish bank account to prove you can support yourself.

In the case you have a partner, then a letter saying that that person will support you in Finland certianly helps.

Interpol? That's a bit black helicopters :wink:

Try:
http://www.uvi.fi/englanti/oleskelu.html it's in English and has tons of info about visas/immigration etc.

Cheers
Gavin

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Sep 07, 2003 2:46 pm

For a residence permit more or less true.

One either needs to have a job or enough money to support oneself.
As Gavin said, one can get by the "ward for the state" issue to have someone support you.

The Interpol check is naturally to see if there are any outstanding warrants for your arrest. How much is the reward on you, Gavin? I could use a few bob... :mrgreen:

Nothing really peculiar otherwise, except the whole residence/number/bank issue that people get the runaround with.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

tjawatts

Re: Foreigners right??

Post by tjawatts » Sun Sep 07, 2003 9:58 pm

Marjan wrote: My boyfriend's sister was saying that foreigners that come to Finland,
Now that all depends on where you are coming from. With the EU what Hank and Gavin said holds from else where it is different. If you are from the EU there shouldnt be a problem with you staying in Finland without a job, bank account or state benefits for more than three months easily. Just give a suitable date when you eventually sign some papers.

Tony

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:06 pm

Well, Tony, last/before last pubcrawl I think it was someone was telling me this thing about registration etc. I don't remember who it was, but as he had been supposed to register but didn't - he had been working here and all and didn't know he was supposed to go to the police - he had to pay a pretty big fine for not filling the paperwork correctly. He went to register at the police station and it was like "deported on sight" approach. So don't be giving people ideas. We have had a topic about registration before I dug up the different systems in different EU countries. Even if in the UK and Ireland you can live like cows in the field, it doesn't mean you won't get Mr.Kafka for a visit here... you mean you haven't been to the KELA office lately have you?
Cheers, Hank W.

tjawatts

Post by tjawatts » Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:11 pm

Yeah I suppose it is a risk, but if you are not working or wanting to use any national services they shouldnt even know you are here. Besides you might be just visiting, is a visa required for a six month holiday in Finland from another EU country? Surely not ;-)

Tony

P.S. I still havent sorted out KELA, have some forms from the UK now so hopefully they will process it this time.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:33 pm

Except that if you need to show that you have cohabited for a certain amount of time... and all the registers are cross-referenced, mind you this.

I'd know, I'm one of the 'Frateres Grandes' :mrgreen:
Cheers, Hank W.

Tom and Jerry

Post by Tom and Jerry » Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:33 pm

For nearly all people coming here with the intention to live and work here for longer than three months:

Go to the police on the day you arrive. That's the most easiest.

If you come as a tourist for less than three months, the tourist information centre gives you all the information about Finland.

(A visa is required for a stay longer than three months, also as a tourist from another EU-country, I thought. It is different with taxes in the EU. You'll pay taxes in the EU-country you live in half a year plus one day.

Suppose you have a private pension in one EU-country, a house in that country, you have also a summer cottage in Finland and you want to spent your holiday in Finland something like three months a year.
To avoid double taxes, you may wish to find out whether it gives an advantage to stay registered in the country that pays your pension.

That is an exception. )

Deman

Post by Deman » Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:57 pm

There is a lot of "over the top" bureaucracy here. When I moved here from Ireland 5 years ago, I had to be unemployed and signing on for 4 weeks before I made the move. Then KELA paid me immediately when I got here (although the money actually came from Ireland for three months). But at least the Finns know what they're are doing. A friend moved back to England last year and had an awful lot of trouble getting money as they didn't seem to know what they were doing. Five months later they called him to the office and said they "believe he has been living abroad for some time and we need " some form. The same form he'd given them 5 months before. And this is the EU....? :?

Marjan

in reply to all

Post by Marjan » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:03 pm

Hey everyone,

Tx for the advice..although the opinions seem divided.. Just for clarity: I'm Dutch, lived in UK for years.. and I would not be looking at claiming state money when I go over...

I'm actually thinking of doing a Finish language course: intensive for about 6 weeks (or a bit more) and then try to find a job....

Marjan.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:23 pm

Very good idea.
Cheers, Hank W.