Toppila

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:47 pm

Well, being next door to a cemetary, asylum and jail is actually quite good, as the people belonging in them seldom wander close by, and people inside them seldom come out...

Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Jussi

Post by Jussi » Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:22 pm

Ca any one tell me about this meritoppila mentioned earlier, is this the area arount pallikatu/sellikatu?? and although it is quite packed in, (we are used to that here in dublin) is it ok to live???

sotka_

Post by sotka_ » Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:36 pm

Jussi wrote:Ca any one tell me about this meritoppila mentioned earlier, is this the area arount pallikatu/sellikatu?? and although it is quite packed in, (we are used to that here in dublin) is it ok to live???
As said, the new slum of Oulu, that's what it is called. I prefer other places, because it is kind of 'on the edge' in means of bus and other connections, the routes just aren't that good for Meritoppila. Bike's another matter.

Not that bad but not that good either. There's a shop that don't sell beer and to patch it, a local bar. That's pretty much it. I really cannot tell about the neighbours, haven't lived there myself.

Pallikatu (Paalikatu) Sellikatu (Sellukatu) are there..

ps. you can use http://kartta.ouka.fi/ to find locations in Oulu, it's also available in eglish (click the UK flag)

Rehna

Post by Rehna » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:00 pm

I have now lived 3 months in Toppila, Paalikatu. I did have some doubts about area's reputation but after all its quite nice. The house we live in is new and also it has maybe "a bit better" folk living in it than some houses nearby. I enjoy the big park by the sea which is wonderful if you like to jog or walk. We have foodmarket and buss-stop less than 2 minutes walk.
At weekends there can be some disturbing noises outside when people are coming home from the bars but I have never have a feeling I should be afraid...

Jussi

Post by Jussi » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:22 pm

Well, it is all coming to fruition, Against all advice we have got ourselves an apartment in toppila, on pinkelikatu!!! im told it is really nice, (my wife said this, she saw it, i havent.) it has a sauna inside, HOORAY!! So feeling very pleased. so rehna, we are going to be neighbours.