s**t, f**k, and the n-word...welcome to finland?

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
EP

Post by EP » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:23 pm

Do you want your children exposed to an environment like that?
I don´t know, but somehow I think that children don´t even register what words background music has. Unless an adult points it out to them.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Mark I.

Post by Mark I. » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:36 pm

That's unfortunately typical Finnish "metsäläis-kulttuuri" acwardness I'm afraid you'll encounter time to time in many places, katertomate. Try not to get too upset about it. It's also possible to make a complaint about it - preferably to the top level (H&M is Swedish), where you explain things.

:)

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:40 pm

Desundial wrote:if the music does bother you, I suggest the most constructive thing is to address your complaints straight to the top.
Yeah, to the record industry of the USA.
Unfortunately the local shop clerks generally do not have customer service finesse or the common sense just to say, "I'm sorry, I'll forward your concerns to my manager."
And what would the manager's concern be? "Get back to work, balance your float and don't be late tomorrow for your double shift." The piped music comes from corporate level. "Have on popular youth segment radio NRJ"... can't much switch over to Sävelradio.
So, draft your letter and email to:

Stefan Persson , H&M HQ, Stockholm.
I'd actually, in my perfect world, would want to see people to go to him and have him personally hear the complaining. He is responsible, not some anorexic teenager slaving off in a rag boutique. Now what you see happening on the ground level (explicit lyrichs gangsta rap piped in a H&M store) to the high ideals and so forth of the higher management (pro bono work for a youth abuse programme)... Now *if* the manager does not know/is not aware - what else in the corporate highlits (ecobabble & so forth) is on the ground level as contrary? Or if he knows and condones it for marketing reasons - a hypocrite as they ever were.
Certainly that is counter to H&M kid's stores, which are aimed at pulling in mom and dad and their money. (Would say the teen stores are a different matter!)
Why I say the record industry and the 'market forces' are to blame - and referring to the above, it starts to sniff hypocritical. Now whether the store itself has a playlist, or more probably buys the playlist music from a segmented marketing company or has some segmented radio channel piped into their elevator - it would be interesting to see Persson explain this duality in preaching and practice.
OK, sure, in the nordic countries the kids pick up these words everywhere, and use them like candy because they think it's hip, that doesn't mean they don't know what they mean
Of course - youth rebellion and all that, world-wide phenomenon. Has been around since the times of them ancient Egyptians or before probably.
Last edited by Hank W. on Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:44 pm

Mark I. wrote:That's unfortunately typical Finnish "metsäläis-kulttuuri"
Apropos - if the metsäläiset ~forest hicks have a culture, why then do people claim 'forest-hick-cultured' *lack* culture?
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

katertomater

thanks!

Post by katertomater » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:48 pm

Thanks Desundial,

I appreciate your reply! :) I just joined this forum, and I was very happy to find a friendly forum to share experiences with other people who are also adjusting to life in Finland, and especially with the challenges of raising children in Finland. I was very taken back with the hateful tone of some of the reposes my posting received. I'm beginning to wonder if the forum is actually a safe place to express opinions with out fear of harsh ridicule after all...
:?

Mark I.

Post by Mark I. » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:51 pm

Hank W. wrote:
Mark I. wrote:That's unfortunately typical Finnish "metsäläis-kulttuuri"
Apropos - if the metsäläiset ~forest hicks have a culture, why then do people claim 'forest-hick-cultured' *lack* culture?
Who people?