I hate the weather here!

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Karhunkoski

Post by Karhunkoski » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:22 pm

Political correctness is the belief that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Juha H.

Post by Juha H. » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:37 pm

If you dislike the weather, try to find other positive things. For instance, you don't have to use sun glasses! :D

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:44 pm

jazzori wrote: The solution is the light, i guess. But how you get it, don't know. Hm, try some light therapy if you have the possibility. I don't cause I would...
Went to the new Bauhaus in Espoo today and bought myself a cheap version (paulmann) of the Philips BrightLight for 79 euro. It takes the same two tubes as the Philips but the casing is cr@p (I don't care, I will hide it behind my desk when not in use). Takes up less space than the Philips and cost less than half the price, five year guarantee. Must be a catch somewhere!

Bauhaus was calm (BTW all the advertisements OPENING 7am LAUANTAINA 24.11 are a lie as they are open today from 9 am until 9pm). I also bought a wheelbarrow for 10 € and a plant for 2€45. Lots and lots of helpful people walking around.... was tempted to buy a whole new bathroom just to get them busy.
It will be hell tomorrow though.

antti_73

Re: I hate the weather here!

Post by antti_73 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:55 pm

Pinja wrote:I asked the fins here, how do they survive and they told me, just wait for the spring comes! OMFG!
Cheer up! Here's 42 good reasons to stay in Finland.

http://alessandromaccari.com/articles/42goodreasons.pdf

incster

Re: I hate the weather here!

Post by incster » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:14 pm

Mark I.

Post by Mark I. » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:35 pm

Juha H. wrote:If you dislike the weather, try to find other positive things. For instance, you don't have to use sun glasses! :D
Yeah, that's all what I'm doing. Not wearing sun glasses. :shock:

jazzori

Post by jazzori » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:13 pm

sinikettu wrote:One of the reason I dont mind this permanent drizzle (same every November) is that I dont need to bother washing the car,.."she" accepts that all cars are covered in kakka in November ..
In Decmeber ---until end March...excuse is the "The water will freeze and jam up the locks/doors/windows!"
:D :D :D
Free your mind and the rest will follow!

jazzori

Post by jazzori » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:17 pm

penelope wrote:
jazzori wrote: The solution is the light, i guess. But how you get it, don't know. Hm, try some light therapy if you have the possibility. I don't cause I would...
Went to the new Bauhaus in Espoo today and bought myself a cheap version (paulmann) of the Philips BrightLight for 79 euro. It takes the same two tubes as the Philips but the casing is cr@p (I don't care, I will hide it behind my desk when not in use). Takes up less space than the Philips and cost less than half the price, five year guarantee. Must be a catch somewhere!

Bauhaus was calm (BTW all the advertisements OPENING 7am LAUANTAINA 24.11 are a lie as they are open today from 9 am until 9pm). I also bought a wheelbarrow for 10 € and a plant for 2€45. Lots and lots of helpful people walking around.... was tempted to buy a whole new bathroom just to get them busy.
It will be hell tomorrow though.
Hm.. *considering the idea*, thanks, although even@half price might be a lil' too expensive for me.. I've heard that November is the worst and then things will lighten up a bit ( literally also :) ). Well, i hope so! Cause i'm heading to a major depression. Todella.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:39 pm

The snow changes everything. We had the same situation last year. The Big Snow came mid-January. Until then it was sad and dark like today. But when you have 10 cms of fresh snow covering everything it is really bright and beautiful.... and that could happen in November, December....

superiorinferior

Post by superiorinferior » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:57 pm

penelope wrote:But when you have 10 cms of fresh snow covering everything it is really bright and beautiful.... and that could happen in November, December....
Or some winters in Helsinki these days, not at all.

Get the lamp and maybe some antidepressants. If you think 70 euros is too expensive a cure for your depression, then you are not really that depressed.

Get the lamp. It will help.

jazzori

Post by jazzori » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:16 pm

I think you have no idea of how "much" money i earn over here :) I mean, it's about choosing: that light-thinggie this month *OR* a pair of water-proof pants, for example, for the snowish or rainish days in the near future. I will freaking freeze.

And I'm already on antidepressants, but still experiencing the "SAD" or "the winter blues" .. how do you want to call it.

A-ha, and if we're talking about efforts and about really wanting something, you should know that you can't just go in a farmacy and buy antidepressants. You have to see a doctor first, which, of course, you have to pay cause you are not in the position yet to apply for Kela kortti. So, i've got to get the meds from Romania. But I'm here. And legally, you can't get those meds if you're not there. Legally. Luckily, i have the best mother and... (luckily just this time) a weak legal system :lol:

When i say 70 is too much, then it doesn't mean i'm cheap, it means it's too much. Piste.

Juha H.

Post by Juha H. » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:14 pm

superiorinferior wrote:
penelope wrote:But when you have 10 cms of fresh snow covering everything it is really bright and beautiful.... and that could happen in November, December....
Or some winters in Helsinki these days, not at all.

Get the lamp and maybe some antidepressants. If you think 70 euros is too expensive a cure for your depression, then you are not really that depressed.

Get the lamp. It will help.
I remember the autumn of 1972. I was working on Ruoholahdentie and we were wondering when the first snow falls. It was some time in February.

superiorinferior

Post by superiorinferior » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:42 pm

jazzori wrote:
A-ha, and if we're talking about efforts and about really wanting something, you should know that you can't just go in a farmacy and buy antidepressants. You have to see a doctor first, which, of course, you have to pay cause you are not in the position yet to apply for Kela kortti. So, i've got to get the meds from Romania. But I'm here. And legally, you can't get those meds if you're not there. Legally. Luckily, i have the best mother and... (luckily just this time) a weak legal system :lol:
Apparently your mother can just go into a pharmacy.. :wink: So you're in KELA limbo, eh? I can't help much there, but I would advise against self medicating without the help of at least a physician (better would be a person with some knowledge about mental health as well as an MD). Maybe your prescription isn't quite right?

Wouldn't there be some (cheap) way of getting seen by a doctor here? Anyone know about this?

superiorinferior

Post by superiorinferior » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:45 pm

jazzori wrote:I think you have no idea of how "much" money i earn over here :) I mean, it's about choosing: that light-thinggie this month *OR* a pair of water-proof pants, for example, for the snowish or rainish days in the near future. I will freaking freeze.
Well, I have gotten by in Finland for the past umpteen years without once, a single time, wearing water-proof pants. Although I don't work outdoors, do you?

I would think that if you became less depressed due to the light you could wait a month to get the pants. But that would only be my priority, not yours.

Good luck.

debonaire

Post by debonaire » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:53 pm

If you dislike the weather, try to find other positive things.
For god sake,don't talk about positive things.... :twisted: