Nurses threaten with mass resignations

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Amandine.K

Post by Amandine.K » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:51 pm

EP wrote:For example nurses often live in an apartment offered by the hospital. And now she wants these people to give up their homes?
I have never met a nurse in that situation actually, are you sure about this information? (I'm asking out of curiosity btw, it's hard to convey emotions on a message boad but this is not meant as an attack at all).

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

EP

Post by EP » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:14 pm

I read it from one of these small local papers. Maybe Länsiväylä.

Sara

Post by Sara » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:51 pm

Amandine.K wrote:I dont know much about Jorvi but if that can somehow comfort you Kätilöoppisto and NaistenKlinikka are very good.
Not what I wanted though, Ive heard things about both of them. I live in Vantaa so had the choice, its likely taken out of my hands now. We can just hope that there is room for me somewhere and we dont have to travel 100km to get help.

12% was a good offer, to say no and go straight to resignations is having a tantrum. They could have tried further talks and some one day strikes if needed. I do think that todays news will have really cut the publics sympathy for the cause. The public cant offer a pay rise and yet they are ones who are going to be hurt.

There are other groups who also deserve a large pay increase. Teaching is damn hard work and doesnt stop once you've gone home, they are incredibly underpaid.

Dont forget once they have resigned, they can say bye-bye to any unemployment benefits for a while.

zam

Post by zam » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:35 pm

Sara wrote:Teaching is damn hard work and doesnt stop once you've gone home, they are incredibly underpaid.
I hope I don't upset any teachers here, I really appreciate their work, but how many of them REALLY work 38.25 hours a week?

Nurses' weekly working hours are 38.25 hours a week with a 20-minute lunch break and two 10-minute coffee breaks a day. And their working hours are 60 minutes long while teachers' "hours" are only 45 minutes... I think the full teaching is 24 hours (correct me if I'm wrong).
24 lessons x 45 min = 18 hours, so that would still leave 20.25 hours for "independent" work when compared to e.g. nurses... And nurses have ca 6 - 8 weeks of holiday a year while teachers do not have lessons for 10 weeks in summer, autumn holiday, Christmas holiday, winter holiday...

And don't get upset, I don't mean that teachers' should not earn more, but this time their union has already signed the collective bargain agreement, so their hands are now tied for the next 2+ years!
Last edited by zam on Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sara

Post by Sara » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:41 pm

Ive been teaching kindergarten here for years. 8 hours a day, no lunch break or coffee breaks. We eat with the kids. Then there is the extra planning times, meetings, parent-teacher meetings. Least one thing for kindergartens is that we dont also have to do marking as well.

Nubben

Post by Nubben » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:44 pm

Zam,
And the teachers are free to do exactly what they want in the 15 minutes between the lessons? Most teachers work from say 8-3, meaning 35h a week. Even during lunch break they are obliged to supervise the students. To that you can add all the extra work from correcting and making exams and so on.

zam

Post by zam » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:45 pm

Sara wrote:Ive been teaching kindergarten here for years. 8 hours a day, no lunch break or coffee breaks. We eat with the kids. Then there is the extra planning times, meetings, parent-teacher meetings. Least one thing for kindergartens is that we dont also have to do marking as well.
I was talking about school teachers. Kindergartens teachers are even worse paid than the school teachers. And in kindergartens you really have to be with the kids all the time...

Sara

Post by Sara » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:48 pm

I know, but its not any better being a teacher than being in kindergarten.

zam

Post by zam » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:51 pm

Nubben wrote:Zam,
And the teachers are free to do exactly what they want in the 15 minutes between the lessons? Most teachers work from say 8-3, meaning 35h a week. Even during lunch break they are obliged to supervise the students. To that you can add all the extra work from correcting and making exams and so on.
Not all of them at the same time! Or have you seen all the teaching staff in a school yard/canteen supervising the pupils at the same time? They take turns. :P

And don't get me wrong, see also the edit I made to the previous post... There are several sides to all stories, so we will not be able to solve this thing no matter how hard we tried. I personally don't envy anyones salary or work for that matter.

simon

Post by simon » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:33 am

Sara wrote:
Dont forget once they have resigned, they can say bye-bye to any unemployment benefits for a while.
Do you really think that they will stay unemployed? Where are these other nurses that are going to take their places then? There are no other nurses.

Wards are already running under staffed.

Sara

Post by Sara » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:43 am

But while they dont work, they dont get any money. Depends how long its drawn out. Bill and mortgages still need to be paid.

Looks like nurses will be forced into work

http://www.yle.fi/news/id72697.html

zam

Post by zam » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:18 am

Sara wrote:But while they dont work, they dont get any money. Depends how long its drawn out. Bill and mortgages still need to be paid.
Finnish labour unions give strike pay to their members who take part in industrial actions, so their members do not fall on nothing completely.

Timbeh

Post by Timbeh » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:17 pm

simon wrote:Do you really think that they will stay unemployed? Where are these other nurses that are going to take their places then? There are no other nurses.
You're right, there are no other nurses. But the resigning nurses have to get back to work eventually and by resigning they will officially forfeit all the benefits they had. They might also be rehired as new employees, losing whatever old employee benefits they had accumulated through the years.
"The whole world cries out, "Peace, Freedom, and a few less fat bastards eating all the pie"."
- Edmund Blackadder

cwcnow

Post by cwcnow » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:37 pm

Timbeh wrote:
simon wrote:Do you really think that they will stay unemployed? Where are these other nurses that are going to take their places then? There are no other nurses.
You're right, there are no other nurses. But the resigning nurses have to get back to work eventually and by resigning they will officially forfeit all the benefits they had. They might also be rehired as new employees, losing whatever old employee benefits they had accumulated through the years.
This is a huge risk, but most of them believe that it won't come to that...

zam

Post by zam » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:38 pm

When this industrial action ends, the parties to the agreement (Tehy and the Commission for Local Authority Employers) can also agree on taking the employees back as "old" employees with the same conditions and benefits they had before the dispute. According to Tehy their members will not return to work before the employers agree on that.