Extended permit on new grounds?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
myrskyy

Post by myrskyy » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:16 pm

Hi all,

So I've been living in Finland for 2,5 years now with a student residence permit (valid until 08/21), and I have quite accidentally realized that I would fit the requirements of an RP based on cohabitation. I've lived with my partner this whole time (we have the rent agreement and everything), and we've been in a long-distance relationship for over a year before that.

Anyway, to my question. It seems like the information on the Migri website is somewhat conflicting. In one place it states that I can apply for an extended permit (so not first-time) even if it is on different grounds from my previous application. On another page, it says that if my family ties have changed (i.e. I have not previously applied for an RP based on my relationship with the same person) I should apply with a first-time form. And then elsewhere it just says that if "your first residence permit was granted on some other grounds but you apply for an extended permit on the basis of family ties, use an application form that suits your situation". Very helpful, Migri.

So if I wanted to apply for an RP based on cohabitation, should it be through a first-time or extended application? I looked through at least the partner's attachment in the first-time one and it seems like there was no option to provide any info on cohabitation in Finland, only outside. So I don't even know how I would be able to fill that one in my situation, even if the info available kinda leads me to believe that this is the one I'm supposed to choose? I'm sure I'm not the first person ever to go from a student to family ties RP, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

And while I'm at it, would there be any reason why Migri would refuse? I'm a bit anxious after reading all the horror stories on this forum. Basically, is the decision always positive, unless they have a reason to suspect some fraud or false claims about the relationship itself? Or could they have other strange grounds to refuse? Stupid questions, I know.

P.S. Alternatively, I can still extend my student permit, it's just that the RP based on cohabitation seems like a much better idea both in the short and long term so I'm trying to explore this option now that I'm aware of it.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Extended permit on new grounds?

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:27 am

myrskyy wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:16 pm
So if I wanted to apply for an RP based on cohabitation, should it be through a first-time or extended application? I looked through at least the partner's attachment in the first-time one and it seems like there was no option to provide any info on cohabitation in Finland, only outside. So I don't even know how I would be able to fill that one in my situation, even if the info available kinda leads me to believe that this is the one I'm supposed to choose? I'm sure I'm not the first person ever to go from a student to family ties RP, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!
EnterFinland gives this guidance:

"If your previous residence permit has been granted on other grounds than your family ties to your current sponsor (you have, for example, previously had a residence permit for an employed person but you are now applying for a new residence permit on the basis of family ties), you must give more detailed information on your family life for the processing of the application."

https://enterfinland.fi/eServices/info/ ... textension

pepino

Post by pepino » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:26 am

Sorry that this answer is more anecdotal than factual, but I recently made the switch from a permit on other grounds (intimate relationship) to a work permit and I had applied using the "first time" application. When I went for my identity check, they were very kind and explained that any other permit would be an extension and refunded me the extra money I had paid to do the first time application. So, I do think you can do the extension. I still have one more year until I can do my cohabitation RP, but then I will be doing the same as you even though I could have the work RP. The cohabitation RP just seems to make life easier.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:25 am

pepino wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:26 am
I still have one more year until I can do my cohabitation RP, but then I will be doing the same as you even though I could have the work RP. The cohabitation RP just seems to make life easier.
Assuming your work RP is A, I don't see how changing to family ties would make life easier for you.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:53 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:25 am
pepino wrote:
I still have one more year until I can do my cohabitation RP, but then I will be doing the same as you even though I could have the work RP. The cohabitation RP just seems to make life easier.
Assuming your work RP is A, I don't see how changing to family ties would make life easier for you.
Would remove the restriction on professional fields one can work in at least.

pepino

Post by pepino » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:08 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:25 am
pepino wrote:

My work RP is still type B as it is a fixed term contract.

om2812

Post by om2812 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:48 pm

Hey! did you ever get an answer or figure this out? im in a similar situation, my Husband is finnish but my first permit was on the basis of studies and theres so much conflicting information i have no idea how to proceed.

actualbunnyvolunteer

Post by actualbunnyvolunteer » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:06 am

I did this exact thing so just wanted to share my experience. I came to Finland on a type B permit and then applied for extended permit on the basis of family ties after marrying a Finn. I was confused too at first.

I made the application online on enterfinland. You have to choose the right application on the website. Choose extended permit, and then choose the new grounds! This will give you an extended permit application but the website will ask you to fill a form AS IF you are applying for a new permit.
Remember THIS IS an extended permit, you are ONLY using an application form for a new permit bc this one is for a new grounds.

So I filled the application form online, used a code from the photo shop for the identification photo, went to the appointment at Migri accompanied by my wife, and I got a positive decision already on the drive home. It says it takes over 9 months of processing time on Migri’s website but in my case it took less than an hour.