IT career in finland

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Omajenn1234

IT career in finland

Post by Omajenn1234 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:04 am

Hey everyone

I need advice about IT career path in Finland
Ill move to finland helsinki after 6 months
im planning to work in the IT field since from what Im reading online its the best option for forei.gners and doesn’t need high level in F.innish usually ,also i dont want to depend on the govt money for too long

I started learning Java one month ago and my plan was to go for the path to be android developer but i have many questions about the situation in Finland

Is it true that IT companies doesnt require FInnish usually for such job

do companies require IT related degree

What is the most available vacancies in general(web , app,...) Should i stay on the path of being android developer or i should look for something else
I was reading the there is huge demand for python language

Should i go to university again to get degree or self / online learning can be enough
Im self learning full time ( 8-12 hours a day)

Is it good idea to enroll in bootcamps such as hives , MOOC
Hives is 3 years full time program which is not encouraging for me since its too long

I really appreciate every advice of you guys

Thank you in advance
Last edited by Omajenn1234 on Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IT career in finland

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: IT career in finland

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:54 am

Omajenn1234 wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:04 am
Is it true that IT companies doesnt require FInnish usually for such job
Depends on the company. If the job requires dealing with customers, as e.g. with consultancy jobs, it's a clear disadvantage to not speak Finnish. If it's e.g. in-house R&D in an already multi-lingual environment, speaking English is enough.
Omajenn1234 wrote:
do companies require IT related degree
No, but formal education is a plus. If you have a solid work history, then a degree is less important. If you have neither, you better have something to show, e.g. open source contributions, indicating you actually can perform in the job.
Omajenn1234 wrote:
What is the most available vacancies in general(web , app,...) Should i stay on the path of being android developer or i should look for something else
I was reading the there is huge demand for python language
Check job listings on LinkedIn. There isn't a "huge" demand for any given language or technology, as practically always the knowledge of multiple is required, as is the ability to learn new ones along with your job. In general, the more versatile - with actual working knowledge - you are, the better.
Omajenn1234 wrote:
Should i go to university again to get degree or self / online learning can be enough

Hives is 3 years full time program which is encouraging for me since its too long
A university degree is better as the potential employer knows what it means, the level of skills that can be expected. Also universities provide guidance for traineeship and therefore help students finding their first jobs. If no degree, it's much better to have experience in working in software projects in a team, rather than just "self-learning", as there's more to it than just knowing different technologies and syntax.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:43 am

Omajenn1234 wrote:
I need advice about IT career path in Finland
Ill move to finland helsinki after 6 months

Hives is 3 years full time program which is encouraging for me since its too long
Vocational degrees or University of Applied Sciences degrees are the usual options for getting a good start at the job market.

When you asked the same question earlier, I already linked to vocational degrees like https://en.bc.fi/qualifications/full-st ... r-program/ as fastest option.

The application periods for studies at Finnish Universities of Applied Sciences starting in autumn have either already ended or will end soon.
The start of studies would nicely align with your arrival in Finland.
You can reject a study place later if you choose not to study, but if you don't apply now there won't be an option to start in 2021.

paleskin

Post by paleskin » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:36 pm

it takes too much education and practice to work as a developer
6 + 1 month aren't enough

agroot

Post by agroot » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:01 am

University should be the easiest for networking and proper training. There are a lot more deep theories than single topic books or camps can show you and an android dev who only know basic android is like a guy sent to build skyscraper after reading CAD manual and design magazines.

From I know even graduates may not be able to jump to a developer job or intern in the beginning, but some supportive role. It's good companies don't hire cheap people to do throwaway projects.

andrewsparrow

Post by andrewsparrow » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:16 am

There are IT companies eg in Helsinki that hire non Finnish-speaking people, and there are companies who require knowledge of Finnish. You stand a better chance of getting a job even in a company with *Finnish speakers' if you have some special expertise in the IT field.

VictorNoah

Post by VictorNoah » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:56 pm

Please, I also want to know if an HND holder in Computer Science stands any chance of working in Finland.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:45 am

VictorNoah wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:56 pm
Please, I also want to know if an HND holder in Computer Science stands any chance of working in Finland.
I had to check Wikipedia what HND is.

Education from abroad alone will not get you a job in Finland, Finnish IT job offers are often swamped with applicants with Masters Degrees in Computer Science from countries like India and rarely any of them actually has the qualifications for the job.