Passports, negative decisions, appeals..

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
vincentsky

Post by vincentsky » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:14 pm

It looks as though my time in Finland may be running out as there is 3 issues I have and two of them are completely out of my hands.

My residence permit was up for cancellation but I was allowed to apply for an extension, allowing me to continue working during the processing period.

My previous permit was on the basis of marriage but that didn't last - there was a dispute between my ex wife and the father of her children that complicated our marriage. I was married for 2.5 years, I've been living in Finland for 4.

Anyway..

Issue #1. Around the same time, my passport was nearing expiration and I handed it to my embassy for renewal processing. As it stands, I don't have a tangible passport, and the current one expires soon. My interview should be some time next month. I don't know how this affects things but I feel as though this is the nail in the coffin and I should prepare to just leave. I do have all kinds of personal paperwork with me that gives proves my identity(US citizen) but I know it doesn't work like that. I can't do anything about this.

Issue #2. My application received a negative decision because the TE Office claims they are missing the information that states if my employer insures me(pays social security?). Thus, Migri also gave a negative decision due to TE Office. Well, sorta happy because it means they were ok with all the other information, they just needed to know if I'm insured.

Issue #3. I talked with my employer about this and he said he sent that information long time ago and doesn't know why TE said it's missing. He then proceeds to call them and then nothing else after that. I think maybe I made the critical error of leaving the office instead of staying to make sure he actually called.

I feel it's wrong to think he's betraying me and will just ride this out til I have to go, considering that he was kind of enough to help me with the extension application in the first place. However, maybe it's just that I have almost both of my feet out of the door and I'm not so trusting of others now.

I've gone to a lawyer about appealing to which he will do so. However, I need cooperation from my employer in order to go forward.

tl;dr: Facing deportation/volunteer displacement. Issue #1 is the most concerning. Everything is very time sensitive.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Passports, negative decisions, appeals..

Post by FinlandGirl » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:35 am

vincentsky wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:14 pm
Issue #1. Around the same time, my passport was nearing expiration and I handed it to my embassy for renewal processing. As it stands, I don't have a tangible passport, and the current one expires soon. My interview should be some time next month. I don't know how this affects things but I feel as though this is the nail in the coffin and I should prepare to just leave. I do have all kinds of personal paperwork with me that gives proves my identity(US citizen) but I know it doesn't work like that. I can't do anything about this.
The earliest available appointments at the embassy in Helsinki are on March 2nd, you should then get your new passport in March.
vincentsky wrote:
Issue #2. My application received a negative decision because the TE Office claims they are missing the information that states if my employer insures me(pays social security?). Thus, Migri also gave a negative decision due to TE Office. Well, sorta happy because it means they were ok with all the other information, they just needed to know if I'm insured.
Is this something the lawyer said?
Usually there is no reason to look at the rest of an application after rejection is guaranteed for an obvious reason.
vincentsky wrote:
Issue #3. I talked with my employer about this and he said he sent that information long time ago and doesn't know why TE said it's missing. He then proceeds to call them and then nothing else after that. I think maybe I made the critical error of leaving the office instead of staying to make sure he actually called.
Ask your employer for a copy of the information he (claims to have) sent to TE.
vincentsky wrote:
I've gone to a lawyer about appealing to which he will do so. However, I need cooperation from my employer in order to go forward.
You need an employer who pays the mandatory social security contributions.
Without that, this employment might not be a valid reason for a residence permit application on the basis of work.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:44 am

vincentsky wrote:
You can check and get proof of properly declared social security online at https://www.vero.fi/en/incomes-register/

vincentsky

Post by vincentsky » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:15 pm

Thank you both for providing me with a bit of hope.

I have followed the link above and yes, my employer has been paying towards pension and unemployed insurance.

@FinlandGirl:
Is this something the lawyer said?
Usually there is no reason to look at the rest of an application after rejection is guaranteed for an obvious reason.
I see, that was just my interpretation then.
Last edited by vincentsky on Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

krapulassa

Post by krapulassa » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:57 pm

vincentsky wrote:
It looks as though my time in Finland may be running out as there is 3 issues I have and two of them are completely out of my hands.
tl;dr: Facing deportation/volunteer displacement. Issue #1 is the most concerning. Everything is very time sensitive.

If you are facing immigration problems and you want to stay long term, the worst thing you can do is leave right now.

vincentsky

Post by vincentsky » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:32 am

I don't want to leave.

My employer has sent in his part of the appeal now, so I need to do mine. I ended up getting a lawyer because I really don't know what I'm doing and I read that the court prefers appeals to be in Finnish, to which my lawyer agreed.

I received my new passport last week.

This doesn't count as an "update" to my situation as nothing still has swung in my favor.

paleskin

Post by paleskin » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:54 pm

TE doesn't give negative decisions just like that.
TE is supposed to contact you to ask you to provide what is missing from your application.
If it is something your employer should provide then surely TE contacted him but he did not follow up.

However, maybe it's just that I have almost both of my feet out of the door and I'm not so trusting of others now.
Free advice: never trust a Finn.

vincentsky

Post by vincentsky » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:34 pm

I will say I've never trusted anyone in my store. I haven't talked to any of them about my situation either. I'm already preparing for my deportation just in case anyway.

vincentsky

Post by vincentsky » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:22 pm

Little update: It's now in the hands of the court.

vincentsky

Post by vincentsky » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:30 am

Update: TE has overturned their negative decision. While some people I know saw that as cause for celebration, I had to correct them that I'm not out of the woods yet.

Waiting for Migri to re-evaluate my application now.

vincentsky

Post by vincentsky » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:03 pm

Long story short - My RP was renewed 3 months ago. There were no problems in between on neither our ends. They were just waiting for the court to give it back to them.
Last edited by vincentsky on Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vincentsky

Post by vincentsky » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:04 pm

double post