Advice about job search

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Lula

Advice about job search

Post by Lula » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:15 am

Hello,

I'm considering to quit my job and look for another one while still working. I expect to be asked at job interviews about why I want to leave my current job. The real reasons are toxic work environment, being unappreciatet and continuous threats to be fired after my probation time. This stress is affecting my preformances so I cannot expect to get any recommendations. Also, my work houres were reduced due to corona. How should I answer to why I want to leave my current job without trashtalk my current employer? This is also my first job after vocational school so I don't have too much experiance or others to recommend me.
Any advice will be welcome, thanks :)

Advice about job search

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Advice about job search

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:46 pm

Lula wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:15 am
I expect to be asked at job interviews about why I want to leave my current job. The real reasons are toxic work environment, being unappreciatet and continuous threats to be fired after my probation time. This stress is affecting my preformances so I cannot expect to get any recommendations. Also, my work houres were reduced due to corona. How should I answer to why I want to leave my current job without trashtalk my current employer?
If you tell about your reduced hours due to corona and that you are worried about job security at your current job, this would be truthful and not perceived as disloyal against your employer.

Lula

Post by Lula » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:04 pm

Thanks!
This was the first thing that came to my mind but at least to me it seem a bit disloyal to leave the company at hard times, or am I being too nice...?
Also, how can I explain that I have no recommendation? And should I mention at the application or the interview that I'm currently employed at a specific place or that the employer don't know that I'm looking for a new job? I have never been at this kind of situation, usually I'm looking for a job when unemployed

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:38 pm

Lula wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:04 pm
at least to me it seem a bit disloyal to leave the company at hard times, or am I being too nice...?
You are being too nice.
In Finland it is perfectly fine to leave a job when you have a better offer elsewhere.

In hard times the case could be made that people leaving voluntarily will result in fewer people being laid off by the company.
Lula wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:04 pm
Also, how can I explain that I have no recommendation? And should I mention at the application or the interview that I'm currently employed at a specific place or that the employer don't know that I'm looking for a new job?
It is normal to look around for a new job, and telling the current employer only when giving notice for termination of the current employment after signing the contract at the new employer.

inkku

Post by inkku » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:25 pm

If you are still on probation, one option would be to say that you have realised that after the probation you would like to get different experience/duties/learn something different/.... whatever suits there and you therefore would be interested in this other role/company. Turn it around.
By law you can always get a work reference from your employer.