Job Interview Blues

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
rapses

Job Interview Blues

Post by rapses » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:39 pm

I was invited for an online interview with digital marketing company. I had requisite qualification and experience for the job. It started real bad. I was to be interviewed by two person, but only one attended the interview. The interviewer asked really vague questions, I needed extra information to answer the question, which she did no provide. She asked me how will solve some problems without sharing any details. I told her that every problem is unique and needs a customized solution . I cannot give her a one size fits all kind of solution. She rudely told me that I do not have in depth knowledge of the domain and the interview was cut short. I googled to see what kind of answers she needed but could not find anything satisfactory. Had they already selected somebody and was just wasting my time??

Job Interview Blues

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

SecretCode

Re: Job Interview Blues

Post by SecretCode » Sat May 01, 2021 12:45 am

There are so many reasons an interview can go badly (or can seem to go well but you still get rejected). And sadly not all interviewers are good at running interviews. Even if you're the best candidate for the job, you can get rejected for reasons completely outside your control.

Be prepared for lots of applications and lots of interviews, and don't get disheartened by any individual lack of response. And don't try to second-guess whether it was a waste of time - you don't know everything about their circumstances - you need to take every chance!

In this case I wouldn't be surprised if she was asking vague questions because she didn't really know the job detail - sometimes companies want to hire people precisely because they don't know what to do! But there could be other reasons. Again, don't spend time worrying about what the reasons were, unless there were things you didn't present well.

rinso

Post by rinso » Sat May 01, 2021 8:18 am

It might indeed be so that you were added to the shortlist to make up the numbers without having a real chance. Or they were looking for a specific answer, a specific type of approach. Evading to answer clearly was enough to show you were not the guy they were looking for.
For instance, if they wanted someone who looks for the underlying source of the problem instead of diving in headfirst, your answers would not have been convincing.

xiaoqianghiphop

Post by xiaoqianghiphop » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:52 pm

Google"Zero-knowledge Proofs", this is the answer what your interviewer needed.