Frustration of job hunting since corona

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
winsiebunny

Post by winsiebunny » Tue May 25, 2021 4:52 pm

I have lived in this country for ten years. I have a university degree in business and languages and Finnish citizenship. Besides my mother tongue Chinese, I have C1 level of English (I can switch between British and American accent) B2 level in Finnish, B1 in Swedish and A2 in French. I have been working for years in customer service and travel retail. I have always loved my job. However, I became unemployed due to corona in the end of March 2020 and since then I have been struggling to find a job in this country (as a Finnish citizen). I have been actively seeking for jobs in sales, marketing and even cashier jobs for over a year. However, the answers have always been negative and I have been only invited to a couple of interviews.

This is so frustrating and energy draining. Any tips to survive this kind of frustration? Is studying for being a lähihoitaja the only way out?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Frustration of job hunting since corona

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue May 25, 2021 7:10 pm

winsiebunny wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 4:52 pm
I have lived in this country for ten years. I have a university degree in business and languages and Finnish citizenship. Besides my mother tongue Chinese, I have C1 level of English (I can switch between British and American accent) B2 level in Finnish, B1 in Swedish and A2 in French. I have been working for years in customer service and travel retail. I have always loved my job. However, I became unemployed due to corona in the end of March 2020 and since then I have been struggling to find a job in this country (as a Finnish citizen). I have been actively seeking for jobs in sales, marketing and even cashier jobs for over a year. However, the answers have always been negative and I have been only invited to a couple of interviews.

This is so frustrating and energy draining. Any tips to survive this kind of frustration?
For anything in sales or marketing, having only B2 level Finnish is an obstacle. This would be an area where you could improve.

In the current economic situation the job market for simple jobs like cashier has many jobseekers for few jobs.
If you have B2 Finnish and many other applications have C2, you are unlikely to be the best applicant.
winsiebunny wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 4:52 pm
Is studying for being a lähihoitaja the only way out?
A career change only makes sense if your new career is something you are genuinely interested in.
I would expect that in a few years Chinese tourists will be able to visit Finland again, and that the travel market for Finns will also recover.
By the time your lähihoitaja studies would be finished, you might also be able to find employment in your original profession again.

It's too late for starting this autumn, but a Masters degree in business or tourism on top of your existing university degree might offer better job opportunies than spending the same time becoming qualified as a lowly paid practical nurse.