Extended Permit - A Permit - URGENT

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
curious1212

Post by curious1212 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:20 pm

Hello everyone,

Basically, I came to Finland 5 years ago as a student, and right away I found a job at Posti where I've been working since then as a part-time job right along with my studies. Last year, I've graduated from the UAS with a bachelor degree in Business Administration, and last year I was able to apply for the A Work Permit (Degree Completed in Finland Application) and I was issued a residence permit for a year only which is understandable. Since then I've been looking for professional jobs and I've had a few job interviews that went to level 2, but unfortunately, I did not get any of those jobs and still I've been intensively looking to get one which apparently its very challenging.

So, there have been some changes where my part-time salary went from 1300-1400 euros/month to 900-1000 euros a month and according to Migri, one should earn at least 1250 Euros in order to meet the minimum criteria. And, I'd like to mention that my brother is a Finnish citizen and in Migri's website states as follows in regard to the income required:

You are not required to have secure means of support if:
1. You are a family member of a Finnish citizen or an underage, unmarried child of such a family member.
2. You are another relative of a Finnish citizen.
3. You are a former Finnish citizen or a family member of a former Finnish citizen.

Link: https://migri.fi/en/income-requirement

Do I need to keep worrying about me not meeting the minimum criteria? Will Migri accept my reasoning for not being able to earn as much as I used to when I was issued with the permit card? Is my brother's passport enough to prove that we're brother or do I need to get a family certificate?

My Migri appointment is in October and I'm worried about what's going to happen if I wont be able to find a job until then.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Thank you

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Extended Permit - A Permit - URGENT

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:36 am

curious1212 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:20 pm
So, there have been some changes where my part-time salary went from 1300-1400 euros/month to 900-1000 euros a month and according to Migri, one should earn at least 1250 Euros in order to meet the minimum criteria. And, I'd like to mention that my brother is a Finnish citizen and in Migri's website states as follows in regard to the income required:
Your problem is not the income requirement, your problem is that your employment does not qualify for a residence permit on the basis of work.

curious1212

Post by curious1212 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:20 am

What do you mean? I still do have a permanent contract and I guess there’s a reason why that “income requirement” was posted there. Have you read my post at all?

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:54 pm

curious1212 wrote:
So, there have been some changes where my part-time salary went from 1300-1400 euros/month to 900-1000 euros a month and according to Migri, one should earn at least 1250 Euros in order to meet the minimum criteria.
curious1212 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:20 am
What do you mean? I still do have a permanent contract and I guess there’s a reason why that “income requirement” was posted there. Have you read my post at all?
Legally your salary is too low for your part-time job to be considered employment in many contexts:
Migri wrote: If you apply for a residence permit for full-time gainful employment, your salary must at least correspond to the salary specified in the collective agreement that applies to your employment relationship.

If there is no collective agreement in your sector, your gross salary must be at least EUR 1,252 per month in 2021. This sum meets the condition regarding previous employment (in Finnish: ‘työssäoloehto’) under the Unemployment Security Act.

curious1212

Post by curious1212 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:16 pm

enitan2002 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:19 pm
You don't need to worry, your years of employment and completion of studies is enough for you to be granted an extension of your A permit. Don't stress yourself. I've been working with Posti only for over 6 years and I understand the concern about the salary reduction, I've never had any issues with my permit renewal and extension.
when you applied, was your salary below the minimum criteria (1250euro)?

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:38 pm

enitan2002 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:04 am
How much do you earn before and after tax?
It is already clear that both are below the threshold:
curious1212 wrote:
900-1000 euros a month
The tax rate for tiny incomes is so low that 1252 Euro before taxes are more than 1100 Euro after taxes and social security.
curious1212 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:16 pm
enitan2002 wrote:
You don't need to worry, your years of employment and completion of studies is enough for you to be granted an extension of your A permit. Don't stress yourself. I've been working with Posti only for over 6 years and I understand the concern about the salary reduction, I've never had any issues with my permit renewal and extension.
It would be helpful if you would answer the question how much you were earning when successfully applying for extensions.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:21 pm

enitan2002 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:40 pm
curious1212 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:16 pm
enitan2002 wrote:
Yes. it was below this. it hovers between 850-1100 back then depending on how big the routes I have for my schedule in the month. Remember it's also required to attach your monthly bank statements for around 6 months. This is to ascertain how much you get to spend and what's left in the month. Back in my time, I was in students' housing which cost about 250€ monthly, so deduct that from 1,000 and see how much I have left to spend. Your bank statement will make justice for that. I've also never solicited for any social support during that period. So all the odds were in my favour. If you're still in student housing, then you're covered.
A part-time job with 1000 Euro salary might be sufficient for the means of support for a student applying for a student RP.
The means of support requirement are 560 Euro (plus tuition fee) for a student or 1000 Euro for a single non-student (salary after taxes and social security, can be combined with savings on a bank account).

But when applying for a "residence permit for full-time gainful employment" the employment must also fulfil additional criteria for being accepted as full-time gainful employment.
That's where the 1252 Euro (before taxes) are relevant.

Were you applying for a student RP or were you applying for an RP on the basis of work?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:19 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:21 pm
But when applying for a "residence permit for full-time gainful employment" the employment must also fulfil additional criteria for being accepted as full-time gainful employment.
Which section of the Aliens Act requires the work to be full time? I have never come accross such a requirement.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:17 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:19 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:21 pm
Which section of the Aliens Act requires the work to be full time? I have never come accross such a requirement.
This is the wording on the Migri website, see the link in the post above.

vincentsky

Post by vincentsky » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:01 pm

It should probably be emphasized though that this amount is gross pay, that is the amount that you don't 'take home'.