Zero contract and other things

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Lula

Post by Lula » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:20 pm

Hello,

I have been working for my current workplace for 6 months on a probation period with a normal job contract, monthly salary. When the probation period ended bout 2 months ago my contract changed to zero contract, I was getting only a few work days a month and some weeks non at all. I am looking for a new job, with a normal contract. Do I still need to give 2 weeks notice when I want to leave?

Another thing: At my current workplace there is a long going situation of what I know now is a toxic work environment, I am being bullied by the manager (others are too) and this behavior triggered a medical problem. Due to this medical problem I am now temporarily unable to do a task, that otherwise I was doing without any problems as a part of my work contract. I told that situation to the manager and for this I got a written notice that sais I refuse to do my job and will be let go if it happens again. The next day the manager demanded that I will do that task but obviously I was not able to do it, I explaind the situation again and as a response I gota lecture about how no good I am... This was last week, since then I did not get any shifts and not sure I even want to. What are my rights at this situation?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

heretostay

Re: Zero contract and other things

Post by heretostay » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:57 pm

Contact the union for your job sector.

Lula

Post by Lula » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:53 pm

I am not in any union yet, maybe this is why they allow themselves to treat me like this? What are the other options, if there are any?

rinso

Post by rinso » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:55 am

When the probation period ended bout 2 months ago my contract changed to zero contract,
This is strange. Did you agree to it or was it forced upon you?

Often there are two sides to a conflict. Be honest with yourself, did you perform sometimes less than could be expected?

Lula

Post by Lula » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:24 am

Well, my probation was about to end so I was not in a posission not to agree to this, it was that or being let go, it was never said but it was implied.

As I said, other people were (and are) being bullied and about a month ago someone left unexpectedly like is allowed during the probation, so I had to do the work of 2 people at the same time of each shift (and without any extra payment but this is another thing...). This caused extra stress on me and the need to do things much faster and also somehow find time to train the new person, so I probably did something wrong or left something undone at some point but at least in my opinion it was unavoidable. I told that to the manager already then, that I can't be at 2 places at the same time, but he does't care and says that this is how things are now and I just have to deal with it.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:36 am

Lula wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:20 pm
Another thing: At my current workplace there is a long going situation of what I know now is a toxic work environment, I am being bullied by the manager (others are too) and this behavior triggered a medical problem. Due to this medical problem I am now temporarily unable to do a task, that otherwise I was doing without any problems as a part of my work contract.
If you have a medical problem due to work, you should contact your occupational health care provider.

” Statutory occupational health care includes work-related health examinations, workplace surveys, supporting work capacity, and investigating illnesses and symptoms that are connected to work.”

https://www.tyosuojelu.fi/web/en/occupa ... ealth-care
Lula wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:24 am
Well, my probation was about to end so I was not in a posission not to agree to this, it was that or being let go, it was never said but it was implied.
There are limits to termination during probation also. The bar is just lower than afterwards.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:49 am

Lula wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:53 pm
I am not in any union yet, maybe this is why they allow themselves to treat me like this? What are the other options, if there are any?
https://www.sak.fi/en/working-life/immigrants