ergth

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
FinlandGirl

Re: Negative decision for RP

Post by FinlandGirl » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:59 pm

useropfin wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:21 pm
I had been waiting for a decision on my extended residence permit for 4 months and yesterday I got it. It says "The decision will be served on you by the authorities. Please wait for the authorities to contact you." As I found out the decision is negative.
A week ago, I violated the traffic rules by exceeding the speed limit by 20-30 km/h in an area where the speed limit was 100 km/h (outside any town). This was my first speed violation during my stay in Finland. I haven't received the notification yet, but I know it because there was automatic traffic surveillance. I know it's a traffic crime.
So my question is: has anyone committed traffic crimes like this (I mean those that have the same force, for example, observing the red traffic light, etc). Did this crime affect your RP or even obtaining citizenship? And if this could be the reason for the refusal, is there a chance to appeal with a lawyer and get a positive decision in the future?
What is the reason for refusal stated in the RP decision?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

jaatelo

Post by jaatelo » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:53 pm

useropfin wrote:
So my question is: has anyone committed traffic crimes like this (I mean those that have the same force, for example, observing the red traffic light, etc). Did this crime affect your RP or even obtaining citizenship? And if this could be the reason for the refusal, is there a chance to appeal with a lawyer and get a positive decision in the future?
Read your negative decision first.

Speeding is not a crime, this is not why your RP was refused. Any violations for which you receive a fine is considered petty offence. An on-the-spot fine for a petty offence is not an obstacle to naturalisation. In future you could possibly receive a positive decision by appealing.

Do not confuse your negative decision with a speeding camera flash and also don't mention it in your appeal.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:23 pm

jaatelo wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:53 pm
useropfin wrote:
Read your negative decision first.

Speeding is not a crime, this is not why your RP was refused. Any violations for which you receive a fine is considered petty offence. An on-the-spot fine for a petty offence is not an obstacle to naturalisation. In future you could possibly receive a positive decision by appealing.

Do not confuse your negative decision with a speeding camera flash and also don't mention it in your appeal.
Speeding can be a crime.

"Endangering of traffic safety means that your actions in traffic endanger the safety of others. This can mean driving much faster than the speed limit, among other things. "

https://poliisi.fi/en/traffic-offences

jaatelo

Post by jaatelo » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:31 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:23 pm
Speeding can be a crime.
Yes, it can be a crime when you just bought a Ferrari and going 100 km/h above the speed limit. However, police usually only report a traffic violation as crime in case of drunk driving.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:43 pm

jaatelo wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:31 pm
betelgeuse wrote:
Speeding can be a crime.
Yes, it can be a crime when you just bought a Ferrari and going 100 km/h above the speed limit.
The threshold is much lower than that.
jaatelo wrote:
However, police usually only report a traffic violation as crime in case of drunk driving.
Drunk driving has its own specific offense.

jaatelo

Post by jaatelo » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:45 pm

useropfin wrote:
I violated the traffic rules by exceeding the speed limit by 20-30 km/h in an area where the speed limit was 100 km/h
Over speeding, you could kill yourself. That should be your main concern.

In 2019, speeding killed 9,478 people is united states.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/risky-driving/speeding

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:25 pm

jaatelo wrote:
betelgeuse wrote:
Speeding can be a crime.
Yes, it can be a crime when you just bought a Ferrari and going 100 km/h above the speed limit. However, police usually only report a traffic violation as crime in case of drunk driving.
From police website:

” Traffic crimes punishable with day fines include exceeding the speed limit by more than 20 km/h…”

jaatelo

Post by jaatelo » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:16 pm

heretostay wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:25 pm
" Traffic crimes punishable with day fines include exceeding the speed limit by more than 20 km/h…"
Oh ok, if someone is caught speeding 20km/h over the speed limit, they should just pack their bags, remove their kids from school and move back to Syria. Is that what you are suggesting?