Looking for alternatives to Lumon for a patio glass installation and/or repair

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
juliacsd

Post by juliacsd » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:28 pm

We bought a ground-floor apartment last summer that has a lasitettu patio to the backyard. The brand of the installation is Lumon. It is quite old and it can only be opened from the inside with a plastic system on the floor.

Last weekend, a plastic piece that held one of the glass sheets broke and the glass fell off the rail. Luckily the glass didn't break. The plastic looks like it cracked out of being so old so the home insurance doesn't cover it. The insurance would cover accidents and robbery but not wear and tear. So here I am, looking for options: we need to either fix that plastic piece or invest in installing a newer system that would have a door handle and a key.

We called Lumon but their customer support has been really slow and unresponsive. They said they will not just replace the plastic piece and set the glass in place, like we asked. They can only offer a full maintenance revision on the whole patio, which includes three independent glass walls with 5 + 2 + 2 glass sheets, and the earliest they could do would be October. We never open the small ones so we only care about the larger one. The maintenance costs 600 euros and they were unclear on whether that includes the new plastic piece or if they charge materials separately. The person we spoke with said she couldn't give a quote for a new installation because some other department handles that. So I don't know if it would be 2,000 or 10,000 for a new glass wall.

In the meantime, anyone could enter the patio from the missing glass sheet and steal my bike, as I don't have any other place to park it. I have heard enough stories of bikes getting stolen from the bike cellar and there isn't space inside the apartment.

Any recommendations of trustworthy companies who could repair that piece soon are welcome. Thanks in advance

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Looking for alternatives to Lumon for a patio glass installation and/or repair

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:21 pm

juliacsd wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:28 pm
We bought a ground-floor apartment last summer that has a lasitettu patio to the backyard. The brand of the installation is Lumon. It is quite old and it can only be opened from the inside with a plastic system on the floor.

Last weekend, a plastic piece that held one of the glass sheets broke and the glass fell off the rail. Luckily the glass didn't break. The plastic looks like it cracked out of being so old so the home insurance doesn't cover it. The insurance would cover accidents and robbery but not wear and tear. So here I am, looking for options: we need to either fix that plastic piece or invest in installing a newer system that would have a door handle and a key.

We called Lumon but their customer support has been really slow and unresponsive. They said they will not just replace the plastic piece and set the glass in place, like we asked. They can only offer a full maintenance revision on the whole patio, which includes three independent glass walls with 5 + 2 + 2 glass sheets, and the earliest they could do would be October. We never open the small ones so we only care about the larger one. The maintenance costs 600 euros and they were unclear on whether that includes the new plastic piece or if they charge materials separately. The person we spoke with said she couldn't give a quote for a new installation because some other department handles that. So I don't know if it would be 2,000 or 10,000 for a new glass wall.

In the meantime, anyone could enter the patio from the missing glass sheet and steal my bike, as I don't have any other place to park it. I have heard enough stories of bikes getting stolen from the bike cellar and there isn't space inside the apartment.

Any recommendations of trustworthy companies who could repair that piece soon are welcome. Thanks in advance
Have you checked whether the housing company is responsible for the maintenance?

network_engineer

Re: Looking for alternatives to Lumon for a patio glass installation and/or repair

Post by network_engineer » Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:09 pm

I suppose you are looking for a firm or terracing producs.

Google "lasitusliike"

A lot of them have good options.

But as the earlier advice, if you are in a apartment block, it should be covered by the housing company, i.e. the 'isännöitsijä'. Check with them first.