Penalty when travelling without passport?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
thao_anh2306

Post by thao_anh2306 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:05 am

Yesterday I go to cruise from Helsinki to Talinn and back without knowing that I need to bring my passport. The trip from Helsinki to Talinn is good so I enjoy a day at Talinn and come back happily. However, when I come to the port of Talinn, the custom there ask me for my residence permit and the passport. Since I have forgotten my passport so I show them my residence permit and my Finnish ID. However, they say my Finnish ID is not valid to travel so they take a picture of both my Finnish ID and Residence Permit and send them to Finnish authorities and tell me to wait for the penalty from Finnish authorities 😭
Anyone here have any experience what fine I could get for not bringing my passport when travelling to other countries? I heard that beside fine with money, there also include 1 year in jail??? 😳 I just forgot my passport and they put me in jail for 1 year? 😩

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

heretostay

Re: Penalty when travelling without passport?

Post by heretostay » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:58 am

It seems like a fine based on your salary is the typical consequence according to this:

https://www.helsinginuutiset.fi/teemat/2330646

Oombongo

Post by Oombongo » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:19 am

The weight of passport is less than the weight of damn cell phone.

Never understood people's defiance of carrying the passport. Serves them right when authorities issues a fine.
Image Image

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:19 pm

thao_anh2306 wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:05 am
Yesterday I go to cruise from Helsinki to Talinn and back without knowing that I need to bring my passport. The trip from Helsinki to Talinn is good so I enjoy a day at Talinn and come back happily. However, when I come to the port of Talinn, the custom there ask me for my residence permit and the passport. Since I have forgotten my passport so I show them my residence permit and my Finnish ID. However, they say my Finnish ID is not valid to travel so they take a picture of both my Finnish ID and Residence Permit and send them to Finnish authorities and tell me to wait for the penalty from Finnish authorities 😭
Anyone here have any experience what fine I could get for not bringing my passport when travelling to other countries? I heard that beside fine with money, there also include 1 year in jail??? 😳 I just forgot my passport and they put me in jail for 1 year? 😩
From 15 penalty days to one year in prison.

vincentsky

Post by vincentsky » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:15 pm

I mean.. it is the only document that lets you into a country legally.

msilvija75

Post by msilvija75 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:17 pm

I have European ID card, could I use it as my identification when travelling? Had no issues before in other countries

mdn

Post by mdn » Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:15 pm

msilvija75 wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:17 pm
I have European ID card, could I use it as my identification when travelling? Had no issues before in other countries
Do you have a citizenship of that country?