winter tires new law

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
nimap

winter tires new law

Post by nimap » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:34 am

Did I interpret it correctly that until it starts snowing in Uusimaa region (where I live), I am not legally obliged to change winter tires despite what month on calendar?

winter tires new law

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: winter tires new law

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:12 am

nimap wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:34 am
Did I interpret it correctly that until it starts snowing in Uusimaa region (where I live), I am not legally obliged to change winter tires despite what month on calendar?
Yes and no, there's no set date when winter tires must be used, it depends on the road conditions, which may be unsuitable for summer tires even without snow. Unless you want to keep changing tires back and forth or using the car is optional, I'd suggest switching to winter tires when the temperature starts regularly dropping below zero during the night (meaning the road can be slippery in the mornings).

NukkuMatti

Post by NukkuMatti » Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:07 pm

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:12 am
nimap wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:34 am
Yes and no, there's no set date when winter tires must be used, it depends on the road conditions, which may be unsuitable for summer tires even without snow. Unless you want to keep changing tires back and forth or using the car is optional, I'd suggest switching to winter tires when the temperature starts regularly dropping below zero during the night (meaning the road can be slippery in the mornings).
Beware that the amount of profile of summer tires must be deeper than minimal in summer and sufficient for "winter" driving, they depend on the road conditions, copy from yle news:
The agency added that the main tread on all car and van tires must be at least three millimeters thick, rising to five millimeters for particularly difficult driving conditions, such as slushy or snowy roads.
source:
2021: https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/finl ... n/12168815
2020: https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/wint ... w/11625311

browndude

Post by browndude » Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:33 pm

It is more a matter of safety and not just of legal obligations. As soon as there is frost on the ground, I change to winter tires. Driving with summer tires when there is black ice on the road can be quite dangerous.
ImageImage

NukkuMatti

Post by NukkuMatti » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:00 pm

browndude wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:33 pm
It is more a matter of safety and not just of legal obligations. As soon as there is frost on the ground, I change to winter tires. Driving with summer tires when there is black ice on the road can be quite dangerous.
Black ice means the road conditions require winter tires (with the 3MSF symbol?).

This means whenever it is subzero and there is still water on the road (mostly after snow has been melting) you are required to have winter tires.
However if it has been real cold but there is dry air and dry and ice/snow free road, no need for winter tires.
For this reason I have one car on summer tires and one car on Nastarengat 8) , no need to change the tires all the time :lol:

nimap

Post by nimap » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:26 am

btw, who has authority to check if the tires are good enough for road condition? police or parking warden?

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:54 am

nimap wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:26 am
btw, who has authority to check if the tires are good enough for road condition? police or parking warden?
Only the police (and others with the required authority, e.g. customs, border guards), the official prosecutor and the court can issue fines ("sakko"), parking attendants may issue only parking tickets ("pysäköintivirhemaksu"). In a car inspection the car may be banned from use in traffic ("ajokielto") due to tires being in poor conditiion.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:44 pm

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:54 am
nimap wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:26 am
Only the police (and others with the required authority, e.g. customs, border guards), the official prosecutor and the court can issue fines ("sakko"), parking attendants may issue only parking tickets ("pysäköintivirhemaksu"). In a car inspection the car may be banned from use in traffic ("ajokielto") due to tires being in poor conditiion.
I would be more worried about the consequences if you are involved in an accident while driving a vehicle with unsuitable tyres.

riku2

Post by riku2 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:59 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:44 pm
I would be more worried about the consequences if you are involved in an accident while driving a vehicle with unsuitable tyres.
Yes, if the police attend for any kind of incident then they will make of note on the report of the kind of tires on your car (regardless of whether they suspect the type of tires contributed to the incident).

In Germany (which has similar tire laws to what Finland now has) the insurance companies will not pay out if you have an accident in winter conditions and have summer tires on the car.

inkku

Post by inkku » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:46 pm

You can check the profile of the tires at snapskan.fi, it is free. Have not used it, just saw their leaflet somewhere.