Dispute with a car seller

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
ogiv

Post by ogiv » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:39 pm

Hello

I recently bought a new car from an authorized dealer in Finland. The sales person promised me that the car model I chose had a particular feature - Smartphone connectivity. I had asked about this multiple times and was given assurance that the feature was available. But after the car was delivered, I found that the promised feature is not available. When I checked with the sales person as well as his manager, they apologized for providing wrong information and said that there is nothing they could do at this stage.

Please let me know if anyone on this forum ever had a similar experience. What is the best way to approach this situation?

Warm Regards
Ogiv

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Dispute with a car seller

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:26 pm

ogiv wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:39 pm
Hello

I recently bought a new car from an authorized dealer in Finland. The sales person promised me that the car model I chose had a particular feature - Smartphone connectivity. I had asked about this multiple times and was given assurance that the feature was available. But after the car was delivered, I found that the promised feature is not available. When I checked with the sales person as well as his manager, they apologized for providing wrong information and said that there is nothing they could do at this stage.

Please let me know if anyone on this forum ever had a similar experience. What is the best way to approach this situation?

Warm Regards
Ogiv
https://www.kkv.fi/en/consumer-advice/

ogiv

Post by ogiv » Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:48 pm

Thanks, but what is the outcome I can expect if I take this matter to the Consumer Forum? Is it like a small claims court? Can I represent myself and explain the matter in English in this forum?

I feel I might be at a tremendous disadvantage because I do not speak Finnish. But it is not fair that businesses are allowed to take advantage of a person just because of the language barrier.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:18 pm

ogiv wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:48 pm
Thanks, but what is the outcome I can expect if I take this matter to the Consumer Forum? Is it like a small claims court? Can I represent myself and explain the matter in English in this forum?

I feel I might be at a tremendous disadvantage because I do not speak Finnish. But it is not fair that businesses are allowed to take advantage of a person just because of the language barrier.
The process is literally written in the provided link; 1) contact the seller and try to resolve the issue (which you have done) 2) contact the consumer advice, who will provide you with further information. Likely they will contact the seller themselves, which sometimes is enough to resolve the issue. If not, they will give you their view on possible next steps. Do NOT start any legal proceedings until consumer advice has looked at the issue. It is free for you and they do it for living. Ultimately it boils down to what can be proven about which equipment was promised with the car, and how adamant the seller is that they didn't promise what's missing.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:03 pm

If it wasn’t in writing in the sales contract, your chances of winning are much lower.