Attachments to hot water pipes?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
network_engineer

Re: Attachments to hot water pipes?

Post by network_engineer » Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:35 pm

agroot wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:18 pm
I asked contractors and it doesn't look possible or easy to just rewire the district heating pipes. Or perhaps I could experiment with external attachment myself... How hard can it be? Just like water cooling in computer right? :D
That would be interesting! :D I've heard it is possible... but don't know the details. You could try. As the saying goes: Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission! Disclaimer: Not legal or even sane advice. :D :twisted:

We have our own heat pump ... but even getting an LVI company to just raise the system a few inches to let the drain water out seems to be challenging!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

judderbar

Post by judderbar » Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:26 pm

I know this thread is old but the thread is just crazy.

>>I just had the thought that not utilizing the free hot pipes seems like a waste and missed opportunity.

The OP is wanting to know if it is legally possible as well as practically possible to steal energy from the district heating system.

network_engineer

Post by network_engineer » Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:52 pm

judderbar wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:26 pm
The OP is wanting to know if it is legally possible as well as practically possible to steal energy from the district heating system.
Nope. The heat consumption is measured at the source of entry (the meter). More usage means just more consumption.

If you extend your house and include more e.g. radiators, that is justified use, and so is the use of floor-based water heating.

That's the reason I opted not to use the distance heating. Interpretations like yours, i.e. I don't want others telling me what I can do in my own house.

riku2

Post by riku2 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:31 am

Isn't this whole thread just like saying there is free electricity available from the wires before the electricity meter and if you could only tap into those wires you could get free electricity. Technically this could be done in five minutes but at least with electricity usage the supplier would notice the drop in consumption and if you were too greedy (eg switched to 100% pirated electricity) they would wonder why an inhabited house suddenly has zero consumption.

DMC

Post by DMC » Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:04 pm

riku2 wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:31 am
Technically this could be done in five minutes but at least with electricity usage the supplier would notice the drop in consumption and if you were too greedy (eg switched to 100% pirated electricity) they would wonder why an inhabited house suddenly has zero consumption.
You would think so but maybe not. We bought our current house in 2004. The deal included a cottage, which we have never used. Nobody has ever queried why the electricity usage has been zero for 19 years.

agroot

Post by agroot » Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:04 pm

network_engineer wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:52 pm
If you extend your house and include more e.g. radiators, that is justified use, and so is the use of floor-based water heating.
I asked the construction company and the answer is that extending the surface won't help because the source is the same and it's far too weak to heat the floor.