Is there any legal spaces where residents of Finland can do repairs on their cars?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
mojo88

Is there any legal spaces where residents of Finland can do repairs on their cars?

Post by mojo88 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:57 pm

Is there any legal spaces where residents of Finland can do repairs on their cars? e.g parking spots at shopping centres, at gas station parking areas, or public paths with parking spots.

Or is there a law against that?

The housing company at my apartment parking prohibits repairs on personal vehicles with the exception of changing tires for seasonal purposes.

And this old car of mine always needs maintenance.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Is there any legal spaces where residents of Finland can do repairs on their cars?

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:02 am

mojo88 wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:57 pm
Is there any legal spaces where residents of Finland can do repairs on their cars? e.g parking spots at shopping centres, at gas station parking areas, or public paths with parking spots.

The housing company at my apartment parking prohibits repairs on personal vehicles with the exception of changing tires for seasonal purposes.

AFAIK there aren't such places, available for the public for free. There are places avaiable for rent for DIY car maintenance, with car lifts and tools, search "itsepalveluhalli" on the Internet, near where you're located.

NukkuMatti

Re: Is there any legal spaces where residents of Finland can do repairs on their cars?

Post by NukkuMatti » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:15 pm

mojo88 wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:57 pm

As FinnguyHelsinki already said, a free place to do this is most likely not available unless you know someone with his own place.

Housing companies do not allow this to prevent oil or other chemical spills on the street and therefore the water drain system, they will be liable for damages / clean up costs.
For the same reason you are for example in Espoo, not allowed to wash your car on the road or on housing company property. This is only allowed with only water without solvents for oil and grease (read car shampoo), if you own the ground yourself and the water does not flow to a neighbor or the street. If you want to wash with soap / solvents, you need a certified filtration system specifically for this purpose.

The same is true for a garage, in general they have a specific filtration system in place to make sure no oil or other chemicals end up in the ground water or otherwise into nature.

So you are limited in your choice to find a friend with an own garage (box) or hire a place at for example Neste near lommila I think it was. but be ready to pay a lot for it, last time I searched for such, it was 9€ for 20 minutes, but this is at least 7 years ago..

I have a similar problem now, need to change a clutch... the dealers charges 10 hours and 122€/h for it. I would do it myself in 20 hours... but you will not be working 20 hours non stop so it will take at least 3 days ~ -> 72 x (3x9€) = more than the dealer... So now I found someone who will do it for 50€ an hour, I might help him so it will go faster...(and I see it is done as I want it to be done and not getting screwed by a bad mechanic like all other times my cars went to a dealer and they f*cked up)

PS another reason a housing company will not want it, is that there is a risk half finished cars / car taken apart will end up staying on the parking place giving a place a shabby look... for this reason you cannot have a car on your parking place that is not on the road or not insured or tax paid..

So beside all you best intentions, they will not be willing to make an exception for you...(those days, the property manager told me he knew I would take care not to spill and clean up and finish quickly, but he said if he would grant me permission, he would need to do that for others not as tidy as me, too.

So Public road NO! Housing company property NO, (hired) Private property YES.

Link to the Neste place Tee Itse Halli https://www.neste.fi/ti-hallit
And another one: http://www.itsepalveluhallit.fi/