Healthy care experience

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
rtvirus

Healthy care experience

Post by rtvirus » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:59 pm

Hello
How is your experience using Healthcare in Finland? Do you have any bad experience?
Do you need to wait long time in urgent case? How long you need to wait for treatment?
Does Doctors or medical services gonna make you problems when you don't speak Finnish?

Healthy care experience

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Healthy care experience

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:47 am

rtvirus wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:59 pm
Hello
How is your experience using Healthcare in Finland? Do you have any bad experience?
Do you need to wait long time in urgent case? How long you need to wait for treatment?
Does Doctors or medical services gonna make you problems when you don't speak Finnish?
Urgency is determined based on medical criteria and the facility's and (local) healthcare system's capacity, therefore something that feels urgent to the patient may not be treated right away. Not speaking Finnish in itself shouldn't be a problem, unless one doesn't speak Swedish or English either. That being said, speaking with a doctor using a learned language might be difficult due to not knowing the terminology *), but that shouldn't prevent one from getting the proper treatment.

*) there's lots of illnesses, parts of human anatomy,... the names of which I know in Finnish but have no clue what they're called in English, nor do I understand "doctor-speak", which uses terminology in or derived from Latin

inkku

Post by inkku » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:04 pm

I don't know which part of the world in Finland you are talking about (grrrh this is my pet peeve...) but in Helsinki you will increasingly encounter non native staff in the public sector. Good care, good knowledge, very decent Finnish skills and I would think English as well. I have encountered only one grumpy person representing the old school of Finnish client service... But depends.... What is the point of your question?

SecretCode

Post by SecretCode » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:04 pm

rtvirus wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:59 pm
Hello
Looking at your username ... are you in fact a virus hoping for bad healthcare in Finland? :wink:

rtvirus

Post by rtvirus » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:48 am

Thank you for reply :)