Questions about work RP with foreign contract.

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
sonnytag123

Post by sonnytag123 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:13 pm

Hello everyone,

I nearly finish my degree in a technical school in Finland. My next step is to applying for jobs in the IT field. I would appreciate if I can get feedbacks if my plan look decent enough:
1. I'm going to apply for a 1 year residence permit looking for work, then spend that time sending my CV. Is this the correct move ? And am I allow to have 1 year RP looking for work after finish my school ?
2. Is it possible to apply for a residence permit on work, but the work contract is from a company that is not from Finland ? Like can i use the work contract of that foreign company (EU-based or my country-based) not from Finland with the money i earn from that job qualify for extended RP for work ? And if true, how much do I need to earn minimum ?

I would be grateful to receive attention and feedback. Thank you for reading.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Questions about work RP with foreign contract.

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:21 pm

sonnytag123 wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:13 pm
I nearly finish my degree in a technical school in Finland. My next step is to applying for jobs in the IT field. I would appreciate if I can get feedbacks if my plan look decent enough:
1. I'm going to apply for a 1 year residence permit looking for work, then spend that time sending my CV. Is this the correct move ? And am I allow to have 1 year RP looking for work after finish my school ?
If you have a residence permit on the basis of studies, you can apply for a one year residence to look for work after your graduation:
https://migri.fi/en/extended-permit-to-look-for-work
sonnytag123 wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:13 pm
2. Is it possible to apply for a residence permit on work, but the work contract is from a company that is not from Finland ? Like can i use the work contract of that foreign company (EU-based or my country-based) not from Finland with the money i earn from that job qualify for extended RP for work ?
A residence on the basis of work is for a job in Finland.

With a Finnish university degree in IT you should not have a problem finding a job in Finland.

If you cannot find a job in Finland, why would a company in another country hire you for a remote position?
It is usually hard to convince an employer abroad to do mandatory formalities like reporting your income to the Finnish Income Register, and taxation and social security contributions can be complicated when working remotely for a company in another country.
If you find a job in another country, you should move to that country.

sonnytag123

Post by sonnytag123 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:22 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:21 pm

If you cannot find a job in Finland, why would a company in another country hire you for a remote position?
It is usually hard to convince an employer abroad to do mandatory formalities like reporting your income to the Finnish Income Register, and taxation and social security contributions can be complicated when working remotely for a company in another country.
I did not learn Finnish, and i barely got any practical experience. While it is more practical to apply for work in Finland, if worst comes to worst, I may need to apply for jobs in different countries where the hiring skill gap maybe lower (low enough to even be able for remote if lucky). At the very least, it could prettier my CV and I also gain more experience on the field. And I would prefer to live in Finland rather than living in other countries.

Though, thank you for the input. You had pointed out some thoughts I did not think about before.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:50 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:

One can avoid these formalities by applying for a permit as an entrepeneur and invoicing the foreign client.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:10 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:50 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
One can avoid these formalities by applying for a permit as an entrepeneur and invoicing the foreign client.
I would be curious to hear if that would be granted for fully remote work for non-Finnish clients.
"I earn money on the internet" is usually not sufficient reason for being granted a Finnish residence permit as an entrepreneur.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:03 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:10 pm
betelgeuse wrote:
FinlandGirl wrote:
I would be curious to hear if that would be granted for fully remote work for non-Finnish clients.
"I earn money on the internet" is usually not sufficient reason for being granted a Finnish residence permit as an entrepreneur.
The Aliens Act requires the business to be profitable enough to meet the income requirement. It would be quite curious to have an undocumented requirement for the profit to come from Finnish clients. Having a degree makes it easier to get the permit since one can use the bridge permit to start the business and then show actual revenue.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:41 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:03 am
FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:10 pm
betelgeuse wrote:

The Aliens Act requires the business to be profitable enough to meet the income requirement. It would be quite curious to have an undocumented requirement for the profit to come from Finnish clients. Having a degree makes it easier to get the permit since one can use the bridge permit to start the business and then show actual revenue.

"I earn money online and want to move with my business to Finland" is usually a negative decision even when the minimum income requirement is fulfilled.

Might be possible for an existing Finnish business, but then the OP still has the problem of finding clients abroad.