Job selection: how long shall be the interview phases?

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
meinicke

Post by meinicke » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:12 am

Hello guys,

I'm interviewing for a few jobs, one of them in Finland, as the requirements match perfectly my expertise. I'm not an EU citizen, but currently it's my 4th year working in Italy. I'm applying for other jobs in Italy, and the selection processes are going very fast here: one week between two interview phases. For Finland, I've had my first interview on Thursday, and for the first time I was asked for job references. They've contacted one of them on Friday, but so far no news other than that, they haven't contacted all people in my list. One of the reasons they seem to be interested on my profile is my specific expertise on one side, on another is the fact I speak almost all Latin languages, which could help to develop/strengthen markets near this zone.

Salary-wise, going to Finland wouldn't be a great improvement, as I have an above-average salary in Italy, and lower income taxes. Salaries in Finland for my profession seems to be somehow flattened (engineering, not related to IT). But I would really like to work for that company, with that specific product. On the other hand, a good opportunity, with even higher salary and perks in Italy, seems to be going forward.

As far as other people say about Finland in this sub, I'm more alike the Finnish people rather than Italians. I'm bothered by the noisy people, I don't like people touching me, I'm on the spectrum of rule-follower rather than parking on forbidden places or in a "creative" manner. So needless to say I'm always a bit annoyed here by the lack of respect to other people's space, and the fact it isn't as safe due to the huge influx of illegal immigrants. As a quality of life and cultural fit, I believe Finland would be an upgrade, but I'm afraid of ending up with a situation in which I might decide that 'a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush'. For this reason, I'd like to ask you guys, either native Finnish or expats, how long can I expect the selection process to take over there? Is the decision making fast, or people take their time?

I thank you in advance!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Job selection: how long shall be the interview phases?

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:49 am

meinicke wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:12 am
Salary-wise, going to Finland wouldn't be a great improvement, as I have an above-average salary in Italy, and lower income taxes. Salaries in Finland for my profession seems to be somehow flattened (engineering, not related to IT). But I would really like to work for that company, with that specific product. On the other hand, a good opportunity, with even higher salary and perks in Italy, seems to be going forward.

As far as other people say about Finland in this sub, I'm more alike the Finnish people rather than Italians. I'm bothered by the noisy people, I don't like people touching me, I'm on the spectrum of rule-follower rather than parking on forbidden places or in a "creative" manner. So needless to say I'm always a bit annoyed here by the lack of respect to other people's space, and the fact it isn't as safe due to the huge influx of illegal immigrants. As a quality of life and cultural fit, I believe Finland would be an upgrade,
I guess you also miss frost in November, and it really annoys you that the sun is still on the sky at 16:00.
Finland will solve these problems...

If you want the job and are looking for a new experience go for it, but don't expect Finland to be exactly as you wish for - I haven't checked current COVID-19 travel rules, but if possible you should visit for a weekend to get an own impression how the country actually is before making such a decision.
meinicke wrote:
I'm interviewing for a few jobs, one of them in Finland, as the requirements match perfectly my expertise. I'm not an EU citizen, but currently it's my 4th year working in Italy. I'm applying for other jobs in Italy, and the selection processes are going very fast here: one week between two interview phases. For Finland, I've had my first interview on Thursday, and for the first time I was asked for job references. They've contacted one of them on Friday, but so far no news other than that, they haven't contacted all people in my list. One of the reasons they seem to be interested on my profile is my specific expertise on one side, on another is the fact I speak almost all Latin languages, which could help to develop/strengthen markets near this zone.
meinicke wrote:
but I'm afraid of ending up with a situation in which I might decide that 'a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush'. For this reason, I'd like to ask you guys, either native Finnish or expats, how long can I expect the selection process to take over there? Is the decision making fast, or people take their time?
It really depends on the company, but they don't seem to be moving slow.

You could have asked during the interview when you can expect a decision, and you can still send your contact at the company this question.