Union and unemployment

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
kelly1992

Union and unemployment

Post by kelly1992 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:37 pm

I am already member of YTK but since people say it just unemployment fund not actual union..

I'm thinking to move to SAK or other union.. but my question is if I got fired from my work..

doesn't it at least I has been union member at least 6 month get unemployment fund ? since join ?

or even though I got fired couple month later I still fully getting benefit of it..

YTK I've been member for a long time.. if I moved it now all the day collected is gone ?

I'm so confused about this unemployment (Ansiopäiväraha)

cuz if I understood right.. it is based on last 6 month of you salary..

Union and unemployment

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Union and unemployment

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:18 am

kelly1992 wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:37 pm
I am already member of YTK but since people say it just unemployment fund not actual union..

I'm thinking to move to SAK or other union.. but my question is if I got fired from my work..

doesn't it at least I has been union member at least 6 month get unemployment fund ? since join ?

or even though I got fired couple month later I still fully getting benefit of it..

YTK I've been member for a long time.. if I moved it now all the day collected is gone ?

I'm so confused about this unemployment (Ansiopäiväraha)

cuz if I understood right.. it is based on last 6 month of you salary..
One cannot change from one unemployment fund to another while being unemployed. While working, one retains the working history if the change (leaving one fund and joining another) happens within 30 days. Check the information (and ask them, if needed) from the fund/union you're thinking of joining.

Just to be clear, an unemployment fund and a union are two different things. Unions also provide an unemployment fund, along with other services, but the membership also costs quite a bit more. It's for everyone to decide if it's worthwhile for them personally.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:45 pm

kelly1992 wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:37 pm

You can choose to be a member of SAK for the union services and YTK for your unemployment fund.

inkku

Post by inkku » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:02 pm

There is wrong information here. There is no need to go for unions, YTK provides all the necessary services. There is the unemployment fund which is your support if you become unemployed. However, you have to join it when you are employed. In addition to that, you pay a little more (around e20 if I remember right) and you can get lawyer services and other.
https://en.ytk-yhdistys.fi/

There is nothing else unions provide which would be relevant to ordinary. Unions used to be a great thing, but in practice they are just collecting and spending money for things which do not concern ordinary members. In particular, TEK has been pretty disgusting with their spending habits, I don't know if they have improved but it is one of the most useless unions.

ClausSaf

Post by ClausSaf » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:39 pm

Thank you, I will definitely try to use this