importing renewables energy sources to Finland

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
nimap

Post by nimap » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:10 pm

If I want to import small windmill or solar roofs (something like Tesla roof) for own energy consumption in a detached house, how friendly is the bureaucracy of importing, VAT, taxes and other surcharges?

There are some solar providers offering the grid connection for buying/selling energy generated, but they have full package of their own panels, converter, adaptors, wiring, etc. I guess if I have to sell excess energy to grid or buy from grid when I require more energy, I have to make deals with grid transfer companies regarding it.

Have anyone done this in Finland?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: importing renewables energy sources to Finland

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:07 pm

nimap wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:10 pm
If I want to import small windmill or solar roofs (something like Tesla roof) for own energy consumption in a detached house, how friendly is the bureaucracy of importing, VAT, taxes and other surcharges?

There are some solar providers offering the grid connection for buying/selling energy generated, but they have full package of their own panels, converter, adaptors, wiring, etc. I guess if I have to sell excess energy to grid or buy from grid when I require more energy, I have to make deals with grid transfer companies regarding it.

Have anyone done this in Finland?
Depends on where you're importing from, if from outside of EU then import duties and VAT are due.

The grid provider and the electricity provider are separated. There's only one grid provider in any given area but the electricity can be bought from (and sold to) another company. For selling electricty you'll have to be in contact with both (which I'd suggest to do before buying any equipment), the grid provider sets the requirements for connecting something to their grid and may charge for the transfer, and there has to be a buyer for the electricity you supply to the grid.

For the installation there are standards to be followed and depending on the size (voltage) of the system a qualified electician may be required to install it.