Bad sewage smell coming from the bathroom/toilet

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
minhdo2207

Post by minhdo2207 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:16 pm

I recently purchased an apartment on the third floor and realized that there is sometimes a horrible sewage smell in the bathroom that I couldn't exactly locate where it is coming from. I have asked the talon monitoimi to come check the twice but it doesn't seem like the issue is solved.

First time he came, he checked the area underneath the sink and realized that the cover to where the pipe that goes out of the room was not closed properly so he did that, however, I checked it again after and found that the area around that pipe cannot be complete closed off by just the cover so there is space for the smell to go through, which I suspect is where the smell is coming from (by sniffing around that area abit). I don't speak much Finnish so I can't really communicate with the maintenance person about the issue and the smell comes only occasionally. Had anyone maybe also experienced the same issue ?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

irnbru

Re: Bad sewage smell coming from the bathroom/toilet

Post by irnbru » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:42 pm

It's called a stink lock. God knows what it's called in finnish. If the drains not been put in straight it can be hard to get a correct seal.

Haisee lukko? lol

Hajulukko apparently.

masao

Re: Bad sewage smell coming from the bathroom/toilet

Post by masao » Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:52 pm

Hi.

There are two possible sources for bad smell in bathroom.

1. The above mentioned Hajulukko (stink trap) can be dried up and water which acts like a lock does
not function. It can happen when bathroom is not used for a long time. Pour some water into it and
the smell should go away. If you bother, you can also open it and clean it as well.

2. The drain pipe should be tightly fit so that the stinking air does not come through.

I took three pictures but I do not know how to attach them. :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:

t, masao
Bone, Thugs, 'n' Harmony