Permanent residence permit or citizenship

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
browndude

Re: Permanent residence permit or citizenship

Post by browndude » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:15 pm

nicnet wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:49 pm
necadam wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:05 am
Anyway, passing level 3 YKI is really easy, one should be able to attain it with some amount of effort within a few months.
This is NOT an objective statement.
What does "should" mean here?
What are "a few" months - 60?
What is "some amount" of effort - similar to pyramid building?

My personal experience as a smart person (and modest), but a native English speaker not great at languages, is that it took me two attempts and more than a year of "hard" study, having lived in Finland for MANY years but with only a casual relationship with the language, to scrape the minimum YKI combination for citizenship.
I took the YKI test after having lived in Finland for 9 years and having worked in a Finnish speaking company for 4 years and it was "very easy" for me by that time :lol: .

ImageImage

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

nicnet

Post by nicnet » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:30 pm

browndude wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:15 pm
having worked in a Finnish speaking company for 4 years
That would do it.

browndude

Post by browndude » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:34 pm

nicnet wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:30 pm
browndude wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:15 pm
having worked in a Finnish speaking company for 4 years
That would do it.
Absolutely the best way to learn. The first few months were ridiculously difficult but after about 6 months, things started clicking and my FInnish improved exponentially after that. Now I have lived in Finland for almost 12 years and have worked in the same company for 6+ years but I am still maybe C1 level. Finnish really is a very different language.
ImageImage

Mimo90

Post by Mimo90 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:07 am

Hey guys I really have this issue stuck in my head

If I apply for the permanent RP, and let's say it took 10-12 months:
I will be with no residence permit of any type for that long?
If I leave my job, I can't apply for any other job? (Cz I don't have a valid RP?)

My case is that I applied for an extended permit, but they replied that u can already switch ur application to a permanent one since I'm completing my 4 years A type end-August

Scolix

Post by Scolix » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:23 pm

Mimo90 wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:07 am

If I leave my job, I can't apply for any other job? (Cz I don't have a valid RP?)

My case is that I applied for an extended permit, but they replied that u can already switch ur application to a permanent one since I'm completing my 4 years A type end-August
Its always better to have the extended permit since the processing time is faster. If you apply for PR, during the processing time you cannot travel out of Finland. You can always apply for PR after you get your extended permit or apply for citizenship if you have the language certificates.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:02 am

Mimo90 wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:07 am

” for a person who has applied for an extended permit by asking your employee to show his or her certificate of a pending application for an extended permit and his or her residence permit card.”

https://migri.fi/en/employer-s-obligations
Scolix wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:23 pm
Its always better to have the extended permit since the processing time is faster. If you apply for PR, during the processing time you cannot travel out of Finland. You can always apply for PR after you get your extended permit or apply for citizenship if you have the language certificates.
There is no ban on travel when applying for PR (just have to be more careful with planning and paperwork). Suggesting to always apply for an extended permit instead is bad advice.

Scolix

Post by Scolix » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:34 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:02 am
Scolix wrote:
There is no ban on travel when applying for PR (just have to be more careful with planning and paperwork). Suggesting to always apply for an extended permit instead is bad advice.
My friend was in a similar situation. He couldn't travel during the PR processing period. Migri told him that he could travel after he gets his PR, since the RP validity also ended.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:19 pm

Scolix wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:34 pm
My friend was in a similar situation. He couldn't travel during the PR processing period. Migri told him that he could travel after he gets his PR, since the RP validity also ended.
If Migri gave such advice, the person giving it made an error.

” I have submitted an application for a residence permit in Finland. May I leave Finland and then return to Finland to await my decision?

Yes, you may, if a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate) grants you a visa or if you can return visa-free. Please remember that you will not necessarily be granted a visa for the purpose of returning to Finland.

The Finnish mission decides whether to grant you a visa or not. If the mission does not grant you a visa or you for some other reason are unable to return to Finland, you will be informed of your residence permit decision by the Finnish mission.”

https://migri.fi/en/faq-residence-permits#Travelling

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:30 am

betelgeuse wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:19 pm
Scolix wrote:
If Migri gave such advice, the person giving it made an error.

” I have submitted an application for a residence permit in Finland. May I leave Finland and then return to Finland to await my decision?

Yes, you may, if a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate) grants you a visa or if you can return visa-free. Please remember that you will not necessarily be granted a visa for the purpose of returning to Finland.

The Finnish mission decides whether to grant you a visa or not. If the mission does not grant you a visa or you for some other reason are unable to return to Finland, you will be informed of your residence permit decision by the Finnish mission.”

https://migri.fi/en/faq-residence-permits#Travelling
betelgeuse wrote:
There is no ban on travel when applying for PR (just have to be more careful with planning and paperwork).
How does your "careful paperwork" work in practice for travelling from Finland inside Schengen?
There might be no border controls, but if you are controlled in another country you risk deportation and a multi-year ban from re-entering Schengen.

If you are living in Tornio and cross the border to Sweden frequently, do you have to apply for a visa at the Swedish embassy in Helsinki, or will a Finnish mission (which one?) issue you a one-year visa for entering Sweden?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:10 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:30 am
How does your "careful paperwork" work in practice for travelling from Finland inside Schengen?
There might be no border controls, but if you are controlled in another country you risk deportation and a multi-year ban from re-entering Schengen.

If you are living in Tornio and cross the border to Sweden frequently, do you have to apply for a visa at the Swedish embassy in Helsinki, or will a Finnish mission (which one?) issue you a one-year visa for entering Sweden?
I haven’t looked into visa processes for Sweden. I am sure their websites will spell it out. Alternative one can use the Schengen Visa issued by Finland if planning to visit the country of citizenship often.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:05 am

betelgeuse wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:10 am
FinlandGirl wrote:

I haven’t looked into visa processes for Sweden. I am sure their websites will spell it out. Alternative one can use the Schengen Visa issued by Finland if planning to visit the country of citizenship often.
And all this only because you think it would be bad advice to not make people who want to travel wait a year for P?

Travelling without a valid RP is a bureaucratic mess and legal minefield that might in the worst case lead to deportation from the EU.
If travelling is wanted during the time, applying for a normal extension now and only after that for P or citizenship is a reasonable suggestion that avoids many pitfalls.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:27 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:05 am
betelgeuse wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:10 am
FinlandGirl wrote:

And all this only because you think it would be bad advice to not make people who want to travel wait a year for P?

Travelling without a valid RP is a bureaucratic mess and legal minefield that might in the worst case lead to deportation from the EU.
If travelling is wanted during the time, applying for a normal extension now and only after that for P or citizenship is a reasonable suggestion that avoids many pitfalls.
Note that the suggestion was to always apply for A. The type to apply for should be based on individual consideration.

iceko

Post by iceko » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:35 pm

if you commit a crime, do you get permanent residence if applied. It is written that you can get PR only after two years of that crime. But if your A visa is expiring soon. do you get A visa or is there a chance of deportation?

Jameswh

Post by Jameswh » Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:40 pm

Scolix wrote:
betelgeuse wrote:
Scolix wrote:
I'm actually in the same situation rn, I've applied in February even tho I had 2 years B type permit they said that it's not counted and have to complete 4years in A. So my permit ended beginning of August and still waiting for them to even start processing..
The queue is moving very slowly+ i need my permit for business travels.

Scolix

Post by Scolix » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:37 pm

Jameswh wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:40 pm
Scolix wrote:
betelgeuse wrote:

I'm actually in the same situation rn, I've applied in February even tho I had 2 years B type permit they said that it's not counted and have to complete 4years in A. So my permit ended beginning of August and still waiting for them to even start processing..
The queue is moving very slowly+ i need my permit for business travels.
If I may ask, what is your queue no? In which city did you apply? The processing depends on which city you make your application. Some get it within 1-3 days. viewtopic.php?t=102923

I have also applied for PR but the queue seems to move very slowly. It doesn't look like its gonna happen any time sooner. Its better to apply for A permit extension. You should get it in 1 month. Maybe because of that they might grant the PR soon.

My friend had to make repeated complaints with Migri. I think he called Migri frequently. Finally they were pissed off and gave the decision after couple of months. But if he had not complained, then he might have had to wait longer. Just call Migri every 2 days. Migri doesn't care about peoples life. If it disrupts with your work, they have to do something. I have heard from others in a similar situation. Only when more people complain, they might do something.