First Resident permit for a spouse of Finnish Citizen

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
FinlandGirl

Re: First Resident permit for a spouse of Finnish Citizen

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:42 pm

Charmmie wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:57 pm
i and my Husband met on a dating site in June 2021, and everything went from 0-100 :) we realized we were compatible and wanted to start a family together, so he asked me to move in with him in September 2021 and after we met with his family, he proposed to me and we got married in December 2021. we were advised by border security to apply for my resident permit immediately because i had a few days left on my 90 days after the wedding because my place of residence is in Lithuania and i am also a third country national, i only school in Lithuania so i have a resident permit for student there.

while filling the application, i was asked to fill the form MP_1 because i was making the application from Finland. now i and my husband's fear is that since we didn't object to possible deportation on the form, if for any reason, i get a negative decision, will i be asked to go back to Lithuania while we try again or be sent back to my home country which is Africa?
A negative decision on a Finnish residence permit does not automatically cancel a Lithuanian residence permit, and the rights you have due to that.
Charmmie wrote:
we already got a date to come for capturing next month and since i school in Lithuania, will it be okay for me to go for exams after the capturing even though my lectures are online because of covid or should i pause my studies in Lithuania for the moment while we focus on getting the RP
Do you still have a valid Lithuanian RP?
Having applied in Finland protects you from deportation from Finland, but it does not grant you the right to visit Lithuania.
Charmmie wrote:
and transfer my studies here afterwards?.
Your plans regarding studies and where to live after marriage are not clear.
At first sight I would say you should reside in Lithuania (with frequent visits between you and your husband) until you got your degree.

You didn't tell what kind of studies at what kind of school/university you are doing, usually transferring to a different country during studies is not possible.
You would have to find a Finnish school/university that offers your degree in a language you speak, accepts you into the program, and gives you credit for the studies you already had.

Does your school in Lithuania permit you to continue studying there after moving away from Lithuania?
Charmmie wrote:
Also i have my sister here in Finland so i have been visiting them on and off since 2020 and in the form they asked when i arrived in Finland so i picked the September which was the last time i came from school and moved in with my spouse.. will that also be a problem since they would probably know i have previous entries?
Moving is when you moved, visits before that date are normal (you have likely also visited your future husband before marrying and moving).
Charmmie wrote:
i know it's a lot but we are kind of nervous with alot of hearsay and also waiting isn't really comforting either, so i would appreciate if someone can help with their experience because we are scared they may say we got married too soon after knowing ourselves for 6 months only.
It's not that uncommon.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Charmmie

Post by Charmmie » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:28 pm

Thanks for your response..
Last edited by Charmmie on Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:56 am

Charmmie wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:28 pm
i suggested we wait till after my studies as well but my husband didn't want that because that means we would spend longer months apart. and i would only be able to spend 90 days out of 180 days in Finland.
He could visit you 180 out of 180 days in Lithuania.
Charmmie wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:28 pm
That was why he was suggesting that i probably pause my studies and make a transfer later or enroll in Finland and start studies afresh if a transfer isn't possible after the RP is granted.
You are planning to restart studies in Autumn 2023, losing 3 years.
It will only works if you pass the entrance exam - there are far more applicants than study places.

And that's not even considering the worst case that your marriage won't last long, where you might end up divorced and without any degree.

I would recommend you reconsider this plan, and discuss with your university in Vilnius options to do an exchange semester or writing your thesis in Finland.
Charmmie wrote:
we realized we were compatible and wanted to start a family together
Having children during studies is usually a mess, and if your husband was not willing to visit you regularly in Lithuania then chances are you will have the majority of the burden since he won't do much.

The 3 years you lose now will also move having children by 3 years.
If you restart studies in 2023 you will graduate in 2027.
A good time for the first child would then be 2029 or 2030.