Intimate Relationship Residency Advise

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
RedFoxCorky

Post by RedFoxCorky » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:15 pm

Hey, so me and my girlfriend have been together for about 10 years now, the snag is we met online and have only been able to meet each other a few times due to travel complications and of course, COVID. But now I’m looking to move over to Finland to be with her, she has a residency there and I’m currently living in the UK. I have been eyeing up the Intimate Relationship permit and from what I can tell, seems to be the best fit for our situation. But I thought I’d jump on here to try and clarify some stuff with people that may have more insight than I do. From what I have seen, I can use photos of us together, as well as the agreement to rent an apartment together (In Finland of course) and also have a joint bank account. Of course I am also aware of the requirements to how much savings and stuff you have, but that’s something I can deal with. We also have the intention to get married in Finland, and even have kids, all I’m wondering now is if there’s anything else I’m making an oversight on? Any advice and experiences similar to my current one would be very much appreciated.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Intimate Relationship Residency Advise

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:50 pm

RedFoxCorky wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:15 pm
Hey, so me and my girlfriend have been together for about 10 years now, the snag is we met online and have only been able to meet each other a few times due to travel complications and of course, COVID. But now I’m looking to move over to Finland to be with her, she has a residency there and I’m currently living in the UK. I have been eyeing up the Intimate Relationship permit and from what I can tell, seems to be the best fit for our situation. But I thought I’d jump on here to try and clarify some stuff with people that may have more insight than I do. From what I have seen, I can use photos of us together, as well as the agreement to rent an apartment together (In Finland of course) and also have a joint bank account. Of course I am also aware of the requirements to how much savings and stuff you have, but that’s something I can deal with. We also have the intention to get married in Finland, and even have kids,
What do you plan to do after moving to Finland?
Why don't you start with getting married since you are already together for 10 years?

For both the spouse residence permit and the residence permit on other grounds for an intimate relationship you will have to wait nearly one year for getting a decision.
An approved residence permit for a spouse grants the right to work in Finland, the residence permit on other grounds for an intimate relationship does (with some very limited exceptions) not grant the right to work in Finland.