I want to move to Finland as a student

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Universe

Post by Universe » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:10 pm

Hello dear users,

I want to move to Finland as a student. I am a citizen of the European Union.

I actually have to finish high school first (I have the last grade left only). I am 21 years old.

What's bizarre about my case is that I really want to move to Finland prior to finishing high school and finish it there and then study at the university also in Finland.

1. Do you know whether there are alternatives to finishing high school as a foreign student in Finland? I am asking this because I don't speak Finnish yet (but am planning on trying to get fluent in it).

2. Do you know whether there are courses in Robotics that are entirely in English at the university? I'd need them, at least in the first couple of years, I guess, since learning Finnish isn't as easy as learning English.

3. What are the accommodation costs/alternatives for students?

4. What are the job alternatives for foreigners? I speak English, German, Russian and Bulgarian and have done different kinds of part-time jobs - for instance, I have worked as a waiter, security and so on.

Thanks in advance for any valuable information!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: I want to move to Finland as a student

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:07 am

Universe wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:10 pm
I want to move to Finland as a student.
Why Finland?
Universe wrote:
I am a citizen of the European Union.

I actually have to finish high school first (I have the last grade left only). I am 21 years old.

What's bizarre about my case is that I really want to move to Finland prior to finishing high school and finish it there and then study at the university also in Finland.

1. Do you know whether there are alternatives to finishing high school as a foreign student in Finland? I am asking this because I don't speak Finnish yet (but am planning on trying to get fluent in it).
Your story sounds as if you have aborted high school studies 3 years ago, you cannot simply join a regular class with 18 year old kids.
Adult education exists, but you are asking for that in a foreign language and you expect to be able to complete it in only 1 year.

Get your high school degree in your country, and apply to Finnish universities with that high school degree.
Universe wrote:
2. Do you know whether there are courses in Robotics that are entirely in English at the university? I'd need them, at least in the first couple of years, I guess, since learning Finnish isn't as easy as learning English.
Normal university Bachelors are usually not offered in English, some Bachelors at Universities of Applied Science are offered in English.
Universe wrote:
4. What are the job alternatives for foreigners? I speak English, German, Russian and Bulgarian and have done different kinds of part-time jobs - for instance, I have worked as a waiter, security and so on.
The usual low-paid gig economy jobs, like delivering food in the Finnish winter.

Universe

Post by Universe » Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:00 am

Because I admire the sense of humor of Finnish folks, as well as how open-minded they are. I also really am fond of true Scandinavian black metal, the cold coniferous forests, and the winter chills.

I don't know why you are involving me in your vicious irony (I had health issues, which were the cause for the delay in terms of finishing high school). Still, thanks for your effort.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:01 am

Universe wrote:
Hello dear users,

I want to move to Finland as a student. I am a citizen of the European Union.

3. What are the accommodation costs/alternatives for students?

Thanks in advance for any valuable information!
Look through the information available online; https://www.studyinfinland.fi/ , https://opintopolku.fi/konfo/en/ and pages of individual educational institutions (which you can find from the previous links).

Universe

Post by Universe » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:06 pm

Thanks a lot for the links, dear FinnGuyHelsinki! But apparently I've decided to stay in Austria to finish high school. :roll:

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:44 pm

Universe wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:00 am
I don't know why you are involving me in your vicious irony (I had health issues, which were the cause for the delay in terms of finishing high school).
There is no irony, it is a problem that you are 3 years older than everyone else.

Trying to graduate after moving to a different country one year before high school graduation would be a challenge in any case, chances are that the curriculum for the final exams is different enough from what you are currently learning that you will need an extra year.

The smart move would be to finish high school in your country, at university you will start from zero like everyone else.

paintballsean

Post by paintballsean » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:20 am

Universe wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:00 am
Because I admire the sense of humor of Finnish folks, as well as how open-minded they are. I also really am fond of true Scandinavian black metal, the cold coniferous forests, and the winter chills.

I don't know why you are involving me in your vicious irony (I had health issues, which were the cause for the delay in terms of finishing high school). Still, thanks for your effort.
Dont worry she is like this on every post. I learned to ignore the sarcasm and not let the negative irony ruin my goal. As an EU citizen you have so many countries available and the ability to establish residency in Finland.

Universe

Post by Universe » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:22 am

paintballsean, thank you for your kind words. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

msilvija75

Post by msilvija75 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:15 pm

I'm a soon-to-be exchange student in Finland. Studying marketing and I chose my second year to study abroad.