Pursuing masters/Phd in Finland and obtaining residence permit through descent

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
koivulife

Post by koivulife » Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:38 am

Hello everyone,

I completed my bachelors in the U.S. a few years ago, I am eligible for a residence permit as my grandparents immigrated from Finland and never renounced their citizenship, anyway which route is most efficient, to apply for a student permit or through descendance? I have savings for the education and living expenses.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

actualbunnyvolunteer

Re: Pursuing masters/Phd in Finland and obtaining residence permit through descent

Post by actualbunnyvolunteer » Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:04 pm

koivulife wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:38 am
Hello everyone,

I completed my bachelors in the U.S. a few years ago, I am eligible for a residence permit as my grandparents immigrated from Finland and never renounced their citizenship, anyway which route is most efficient, to apply for a student permit or through descendance? I have savings for the education and living expenses.
On the student route, you need to prove your means of support and you have to pay for your education. The residence permit will be a temporary one, so you can't apply for a permanent residence permit after 4 years on it. The student residence permit application process is faster than most other residence permit types.

On the descendant route, you don't need to prove your means of support. Once you arrive in Finland and get registered as a resident, you can go to university for free. And I think the residence permit will be a continuous one, which means you can apply for a permanent residence permit after 4 years. The residence permit application process will take a little longer than the student route.

FinlandGirl

Re: Pursuing masters/Phd in Finland and obtaining residence permit through descent

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:11 pm

koivulife wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:38 am
As was already mentioned, applying as a descendant of a Finnish citizen gives the better residence permit.

Is this a general question, or did you apply for a study place for this autumn?
Student residence permits have priority processing, a residence permit on the basis of being a descendant of a Finnish citizen applied today is unlikely to be granted in time for studies starting autumn 2022.

koivulife

Post by koivulife » Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:30 pm

[/quote]

On the student route, you need to prove your means of support and you have to pay for your education. The residence permit will be a temporary one, so you can't apply for a permanent residence permit after 4 years on it. The student residence permit application process is faster than most other residence permit types.

On the descendant route, you don't need to prove your means of support. Once you arrive in Finland and get registered as a resident, you can go to university for free. And I think the residence permit will be a continuous one, which means you can apply for a permanent residence permit after 4 years. The residence permit application process will take a little longer than the student route.
[/quote]

Thank you for your response that's all very interesting, I actually just read in this article there is a proposal about extending the length of time after someone graduates from 1 to 2 years to find work, also included in the proposal is student visa's be continuous and not temporary. If passed it's effective April 1 2022, curious how that will go...

https://yle.fi/news/3-12298423

koivulife

Post by koivulife » Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:44 pm

[/quote]

As was already mentioned, applying as a descendant of a Finnish citizen gives the better residence permit.

Is this a general question, or did you apply for a study place for this autumn?
Student residence permits have priority processing, a residence permit on the basis of being a descendant of a Finnish citizen applied today is unlikely to be granted in time for studies starting autumn 2022.
[/quote]

Thank you for your response, yes it is just a general question, I have not even submitted my application for a residence permit or school. I wasted quite some time trying to convince my dad to renew his Finnish citizenship, the Finnish consulate told him he was born a citizen but it went dormant and he never ended up following through with the paperwork, now I learned I have a means to do it without waiting on him. If I were to be accepted for a masters/Phd program it would be next year, I'm also well aware the unemployment rate is a bit high in Finland but they do seem to value an education much more than in the U.S. though probably stating the obvious here. I'm not in any huge rush as I would like to work as much as I can here and save more before fully exiting just in case my job situation there is stagnant. Here in the U.S. it is a lot of jobs, but most do not pay decently and often two incomes are necessary just to rent, this is even outside of major cities. I also found this article where student permits might be approved to be continuous and not temporary? What do you think of this? https://yle.fi/news/3-12298423

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:53 pm

koivulife wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:30 pm
Thank you for your response that's all very interesting, I actually just read in this article there is a proposal about extending the length of time after someone graduates from 1 to 2 years to find work, also included in the proposal is student visa's be continuous and not temporary. If passed it's effective April 1 2022, curious how that will go...

Definitely do not count on any proposals. I (also) suggest going with the most certain route, apply through descendance. In the grand scheme of things a longer processing time shouldn't really matter (as a positive decision is more or less given).

koivulife

Post by koivulife » Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:11 pm

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:53 pm
koivulife wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:30 pm

Definitely do not count on any proposals. I (also) suggest going with the most certain route, apply through descendance. In the grand scheme of things a longer processing time shouldn't really matter (as a positive decision is more or less given).
Thank you! I agree, going the descendance route makes the most sense. I feel pretty fortunate to be able to do so.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:29 am

koivulife wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:44 pm
I'm also well aware the unemployment rate is a bit high in Finland but they do seem to value an education much more than in the U.S. though probably stating the obvious here. I'm not in any huge rush as I would like to work as much as I can here and save more before fully exiting just in case my job situation there is stagnant. Here in the U.S. it is a lot of jobs, but most do not pay decently and often two incomes are necessary just to rent, this is even outside of major cities.
Unemployment rate numbers might be comparing apples with oranges, right now the employment situation in Finland is not bad.
The only general problem with unemployment is for people who are not fluent enough to work in Finnish.
Foreign graduates from Finnish universities who do not speak Finnish often start their own business doing gig economy work transporting food on their back through the Finnish winter.

koivulife

Post by koivulife » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:41 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:29 am
koivulife wrote:
I'm also well aware the unemployment rate is a bit high in Finland but they do seem to value an education much more than in the U.S. though probably stating the obvious here. I'm not in any huge rush as I would like to work as much as I can here and save more before fully exiting just in case my job situation there is stagnant. Here in the U.S. it is a lot of jobs, but most do not pay decently and often two incomes are necessary just to rent, this is even outside of major cities.
Unemployment rate numbers might be comparing apples with oranges, right now the employment situation in Finland is not bad.
The only general problem with unemployment is for people who are not fluent enough to work in Finnish.
Foreign graduates from Finnish universities who do not speak Finnish often start their own business doing gig economy work transporting food on their back through the Finnish winter.
Thank you, that's actually not too bad and is very fair. I would definitely want to immerse myself in the language if I decide to start my life over there. How does it work if one wants to buy an apartment? Does one still actually own the unit? I read something about it being you actually buy shares in the company which confused me. Also how is the gig economy in Finland if worst case a job cannot be found soon? Is it enough to be busy with? I have some savings enough to buy a small apartment, but just thinking worst case scenario. Also I do not need much to get by, mainly just enough for basic food. Are cars quite expensive there? I assume outside of major cities it is necessary to have one?

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:17 am

koivulife wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:41 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:29 am
koivulife wrote:
Thank you, that's actually not too bad and is very fair. I would definitely want to immerse myself in the language if I decide to start my life over there. How does it work if one wants to buy an apartment? Does one still actually own the unit? I read something about it being you actually buy shares in the company which confused me. Also how is the gig economy in Finland if worst case a job cannot be found soon? Is it enough to be busy with? I have some savings enough to buy a small apartment, but just thinking worst case scenario. Also I do not need much to get by, mainly just enough for basic food. Are cars quite expensive there? I assume outside of major cities it is necessary to have one?
-In a housing company, one buys shares of the company, which allows control over a specific apartment. Check prices on https://www.etuovi.com/ (people often speak of Finland, when they actually mean Helsinki or the capital region, there's actually quite some variety if literally anywhere in Finland)
-Gig economy obviously depends on the person and the profession, maybe if you'd elaborate, someone could provide you with more insight
-Cars are expensive, not only the purchase price but also the annual tax and mandatory insurance. See e.g. https://www.nettiauto.com/ , add at least a few hundred euros annually for tax and insurance (plus maintenance, tires, fuel,...)