Question on taxable money transfers for a Finn living abroad

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
finnabroad

Post by finnabroad » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:36 pm

Hello, I am a Finn, currently living in the UK, with my unmarried partner of 15 years.
My partner and I are soon planning to move to mainland Europe (not Finland), and are seeking to move some of our [technically my partner's] savings from Pounds to Euros prior to our relocation - so from his bank account here in the UK, to my Finnish bank account in Finland. I am currently a student with no income, so it is technically my partner's savings.

How would it work with taxes on gift amounts? Would it raise problems if he transferred an amount over the EUR 5,000 threshold to my Finnish bank account? (i.e. do Finnish tax authorities count unmarried partners as separate entities for gift tax purposes?)
Or would it make more sense for him to move the savings from his UK bank account to my UK bank account, and then I'd transfer it from my own UK account to Finnish account? My concern would be if I were asked to provide evidence for where the funds came from and they are clearly from his account.
Any help would be appreciated as this is a confusing issue to understand. Thanks for the help in advance!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Question on taxable money transfers for a Finn living abroad

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:23 pm

finnabroad wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:36 pm
I am a Finn, currently living in the UK, with my unmarried partner of 15 years.
My partner and I are soon planning to move to mainland Europe (not Finland), and are seeking to move some of our [technically my partner's] savings from Pounds to Euros prior to our relocation - so from his bank account here in the UK, to my Finnish bank account in Finland. I am currently a student with no income, so it is technically my partner's savings.

How would it work with taxes on gift amounts? Would it raise problems if he transferred an amount over the EUR 5,000 threshold to my Finnish bank account? (i.e. do Finnish tax authorities count unmarried partners as separate entities for gift tax purposes?)
The Finnish tax authorities also counts married couples as separate entities for gift tax purposes.
Neither of you is living in Finland and money is not immovable property located in Finland, so Finnish gift tax does not apply in any case.

finnabroad

Re: Question on taxable money transfers for a Finn living abroad

Post by finnabroad » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:23 pm

Thank you so much! That's very helpful to know! Much appreciated.