Non EU Moving To Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Mitch2.0

Non EU Moving To Finland

Post by Mitch2.0 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:49 pm

Hi guys. Can anyone help ?
I want to move to finland
I can buy a house outright and have 30K euros in the bank with a monthly income of 1300 euros.
Once settlred i want to get a part time or full time job.

But it seems now i have to have a job before i am allowed to move to Finland

Can someone clarify my position please

Thanks Mitch

Non EU Moving To Finland

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Non EU Moving To Finland

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:33 pm

Mitch2.0 wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:49 pm
Why Finland?
Mitch2.0 wrote:
I can buy a house outright and have 30K euros in the bank with a monthly income of 1300 euros.
Except for IT, finding a job requires being able to work in Finnish.
Mitch2.0 wrote:

You need a reason for being granted a Finnish residence permit.
In practice the available reasons are a job offer, spouse in Finland or having been accepted into a Finnish university.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:41 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:33 pm
Mitch2.0 wrote:
Except for IT, finding a job requires being able to work in Finnish.
This is simply not true. I have plenty of friends working in English in non IT jobs. I think we have had this discussion before.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:00 am

Mitch2.0 wrote:
Hi guys. Can anyone help ?

Thanks Mitch
As mentioned earlier, you'll need a residence permit to stay for any longer period, see https://migri.fi/en/residence-permit

See e.g. https://www.etuovi.com/ for housing prices around the area you've been thinking about moving. Your potential job or a place of study naturally is the deciding factor where exactly you'd be living. With 30 000€ and 1300€/month you can pretty much forget buying anything (but a small apartment) in the largest cities. Going further away from city centers means you'll likely need a car, which adds some hundreds of euros a month you'll need (for repayment, fuel, maintenance and mandatory insurance).

I would suggest to not make any major financial investments (e.g. buying a property) until you've moved and lived in the country for some time, and you're certain that you'll actually want to stay. Now would be a good time (of year) to visit and see how it is for most of the country much of the year (albeit there's some daylight already).

Mitch2.0

Post by Mitch2.0 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:53 am

Thanks guys for the replies.

Some conflicting info here.

FinnGuyHelsinki - Sorry i did not make it very clear i have money to buy a house outright as i know the property prices. Also i have money to buy a car set aside. After i have bought a house and car i would have 30K Euros left in the bank for emergencies etc.

I have had visits to finland on serveral occasions and will be looking to move to Rovaniemi. The reason i asked about work is that there seems to be a lot of seasonal work there.

The most confusing thing is how to gain permanent entry to Finland.

I really want to move there buy a house settle in then find work but this seems not to be possible
Last edited by Mitch2.0 on Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:07 pm

Mitch2.0 wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:53 am
Thanks guys for the replies.

Some conflicting info here.

FinnGuyHelsinki - Sorry i did not make it very clear i have money to buy a house outright as i know the property prices. Also i have money to buy a car set aside. After i have bought a house and car i would have 30K Euros left in the bank for emergencies etc.

I have had visits to finland on serveral occasions and will be looking to move to Rovaniemi. The reason i asked about work is that there seems to be a lot of seasonal work there.

The most confusing thing is how to gain permanent entry to Finland.

I really want to move there buy a house settle in then find work but this seems not to be possible
One must meet the qualifications for residence, surely it is the same for most parts of the world.

Paying cash for a house is financially not the best move, once you're in the country (with a residence permit) and working, you can try getting a loan and invest the money that you have left over.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:29 pm

A couple of ideas…

Tak the house money and buy a profitable small business located in Finland where you don’t need Finnish language. Then apply for residence permit for entrepreneurs.

Or alternatively, go back to school and get a study place in an English based program at a Finnish university or university of applied sciences. International business for example is one of the common courses of study offered this way.

mm_suomi

Post by mm_suomi » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:05 pm

heretostay wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:29 pm
" buy a profitable small business located in Finland where you don’t need Finnish language." Then apply for residence permit for entrepreneurs.
I wonder what that would be? :?: :|

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:09 am

mm_suomi wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:05 pm
heretostay wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:29 pm
" buy a profitable small business located in Finland where you don’t need Finnish language." Then apply for residence permit for entrepreneurs.
I wonder what that would be? :?: :|
Probably doesn't exist. A business small enough to be bought for the price of a normal house has much of the value in the capabilities of the owner. Changing owners - to someone not already familiar with the business - likely would result in the company going downhill from there. Not to mention that the current owner would have to be willing to sell, i.e. letting go of that income - possibly of one's livelihood - for some reason. And that the clientele don't mind dealing in English. Setting up a one person IT consultancy might be an option, if there are skills and experience to back it up.

browndude

Post by browndude » Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:58 pm

Note that buyers from outside the EU and EEA need permission from the Finnish Ministry of Defence to buy real estate in Finland. I would suspect the rules will get even tighter now that the Russia-Ukraine situation has deteriorated.
ImageImage

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:17 pm

browndude wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:58 pm
Note that buyers from outside the EU and EEA need permission from the Finnish Ministry of Defence to buy real estate in Finland. I would suspect the rules will get even tighter now that the Russia-Ukraine situation has deteriorated.
The rules are not tight, it's just a matter of asking and getting the permission, the vast majority of real estate can be bought by anyone.

browndude

Post by browndude » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:04 am

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:17 pm
browndude wrote:
The rules are not tight, it's just a matter of asking and getting the permission, the vast majority of real estate can be bought by anyone.
Things have taken a very serious turn now. I think the rules might start getting more strict with regards to citizenship, land-ownership etc.. for foreigners. Especially if one is from certain countries.
ImageImage

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:42 am

browndude wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:04 am
FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
browndude wrote:
Things have taken a very serious turn now. I think the rules might start getting more strict with regards to citizenship, land-ownership etc.. for foreigners. Especially if one is from certain countries.
You're just speculating. The restricted areas for real estate purchase are in close proximity to military installations, critical infrastructure etc., there is no blanket denial for real estate purchases, nor have any nationalities been singled out with different rules.

browndude

Post by browndude » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:50 am

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:42 am
browndude wrote:
FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:

You're just speculating. The restricted areas for real estate purchase are in close proximity to military installations, critical infrastructure etc., there is no blanket denial for real estate purchases, nor have any nationalities been singled out with different rules.
Yes I am speculating. It is a speculation based on my reading of the general political situation and from what I know about Finland. Things certainly have tightened since 2009 when I first travelled to Finland so it is not much of a stretch to think that the rules might tighten or loosen based on what is happening abroad. What is not just an opinion is that one does need permission from the minstry of defense.
ImageImage

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:14 am

browndude wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:50 am
FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:42 am
browndude wrote:

Yes I am speculating. It is a speculation based on my reading of the general political situation and from what I know about Finland. Things certainly have tightened since 2009 when I first travelled to Finland so it is not much of a stretch to think that the rules might tighten or loosen based on what is happening abroad. What is not just an opinion is that one does need permission from the minstry of defense.
A permission is required, which takes some effort and time, nevertheless just about anyone can buy real estate all over the country. I don't have any data, but from current listings in etuovi.com and oikotie.fi, easily <1% are such the purchase of which would be denied. I don't know what kind of situation would lead to further restrictions, or what purpose it would serve. The current ones I understand, the reason being national security, thus I don't see those being lifted.