Food smell everywhere!

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
agroot

Food smell everywhere!

Post by agroot » Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:56 pm

This is specific to apartment and seems a lot more noticeable in winter than summer

Every time after I cook, I have to wash my hair and whatever clothes I wear during cooking because they're full of food smell, and often the smell gets into jackets hanging in dining room (next to kitchen) or bedroom (away from kitchen), so I have to wash the jackets several time a week even when I'm not wearing it, simply because it becomes the source of food smell after cooking.

The kitchen range hood is running fine with activated carbon filter inside and grease filter outside, both replaced every 2-6 months, and my windows in both of dining room and bedroom are open, so that cold air comes inside and flushes the odor into bathroom's vent, which has been turned to maximum.

Usually the kitchen smell disappears within 2-3 hours, but it doesn't stop the smell from infecting my jackets and whatever clothes I leave on drying rack, though they're placed in bedroom where there is cold air coming which is supposed to keep odor away but doesn't - I can still smell strong odor in bedroom after cooking.

This could also happen without cooking but with food ordered outside, and dining in restaurants brings the smell too, especially in winter. First I thought it's asian / indian food, but then it turned out anything with soup or stock makes it much worse.

---

So what can I do? I don't mind washing hair and daily clothes but coats shouldn't be washed that often (and with vinegar / baking soda!). It's also weird that I never smelled that in the first year of my arrival, even when I burned cabbage, triggered fire alarm and ruined an entirely new rangehood filter, but the smell got worse and worse, and I could feel it every time after cooking now - did my nose become more sensitive due to clean air..?! And now I can feel the air from humidifier is salty...

PS: I have air purifier on 24/7 in kitchen, but the only thing it helps is to remove occasional smell when I open the garbage bin.

Food smell everywhere!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Food smell everywhere!

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:07 am

agroot wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:56 pm
This is specific to apartment and seems a lot more noticeable in winter than summer

Every time after I cook, I have to wash my hair and whatever clothes I wear during cooking because they're full of food smell, and often the smell gets into jackets hanging in dining room (next to kitchen) or bedroom (away from kitchen), so I have to wash the jackets several time a week even when I'm not wearing it, simply because it becomes the source of food smell after cooking.

The kitchen range hood is running fine with activated carbon filter inside and grease filter outside, both replaced every 2-6 months, and my windows in both of dining room and bedroom are open, so that cold air comes inside and flushes the odor into bathroom's vent, which has been turned to maximum.

Usually the kitchen smell disappears within 2-3 hours, but it doesn't stop the smell from infecting my jackets and whatever clothes I leave on drying rack, though they're placed in bedroom where there is cold air coming which is supposed to keep odor away but doesn't - I can still smell strong odor in bedroom after cooking.

This could also happen without cooking but with food ordered outside, and dining in restaurants brings the smell too, especially in winter. First I thought it's asian / indian food, but then it turned out anything with soup or stock makes it much worse.

---

So what can I do? I don't mind washing hair and daily clothes but coats shouldn't be washed that often (and with vinegar / baking soda!). It's also weird that I never smelled that in the first year of my arrival, even when I burned cabbage, triggered fire alarm and ruined an entirely new rangehood filter, but the smell got worse and worse, and I could feel it every time after cooking now - did my nose become more sensitive due to clean air..?! And now I can feel the air from humidifier is salty...

PS: I have air purifier on 24/7 in kitchen, but the only thing it helps is to remove occasional smell when I open the garbage bin.
Surely you would have noticed also outside of your home if there's such a drastic change in your sense of smell. If so, go see a doctor. If you live in an apartment, maybe ask your neigbors if they have noticed cooking smells coming in from your apartment. If yes, you know who's to blame.

nimap

Post by nimap » Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:08 pm

This is quiet common symptoms for lack of sex, as per my experience. If one organ in body is underutilized, other organs may get over sensitive. Try having sex more often then you normally have, it could fix the issue.

agroot

Post by agroot » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:47 pm

Thanks for that sex advice! :lol:

All right I reduced by the problem by adding a coat hanger and moving it to right next to the window whenever I cook, and also close the door of that room. There has been no serious smell on jackets since.

And no laundry or hanging of wet clothes until bed time.

agroot

Post by agroot » Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:02 pm

The method is not working in spring now since temperature difference is too low and building ventilation has been slowed down.

I opened my main door today only to flood the stairway with hamburger smell - didn't even cook myself!

Does anyone have experience with installing exhaust with Finnish apartment windows? I guess something like this but a powerful fan? https://i.imgur.com/DoFplWq.jpg (one window inflow and the other outflow)

Or maybe I should move into a detached house.... :|