Apartment and moaning noises!!

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
techguy2022

Post by techguy2022 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:46 pm

Hello,

I am from a South Asian country, I have to move to Espoo. I am looking for an apartment where I can live with my wife and 2 kids(8 and 11). My concern is how should I find an apartment where we have privacy without any embarrassing situations like moaning noises from neighbours. I live alone and sometimes moaning comes from left, right or even from the top floor.

How do local(Finnish) people handle this? How should I choose an apartment, I mean which type? Should I look for a detached house but worry about the cost of detached houses???

Please advise the best way to handle it and find the right type of apartment/house.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Apartment and moaning noises!!

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:29 am

techguy2022 wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:46 pm
Hello,

I am from a South Asian country, I have to move to Espoo. I am looking for an apartment where I can live with my wife and 2 kids(8 and 11). My concern is how should I find an apartment where we have privacy without any embarrassing situations like moaning noises from neighbours. I live alone and sometimes moaning comes from left, right or even from the top floor.

How do local(Finnish) people handle this? How should I choose an apartment, I mean which type? Should I look for a detached house but worry about the cost of detached houses???

Please advise the best way to handle it and find the right type of apartment/house.

A detached house is your only possibility if you absolutely need to make sure no sounds from your neighbor reach the inside of your home. In an apartment or a row house, any time someone new might move in and behave differently. In an apartment, being at the top floor (where usually also the largest apartments are, meaning shared walls with fewer apartments and no-one above) would be the best bet.

agroot

Post by agroot » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:40 pm

Are newer apartments better with noise? those built in 90s or 2000s?

I chose a quiet area where there are no light in more than half of units in the building. Moaning was heard maybe once or twice a year.

ratfink

Post by ratfink » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:39 pm

Assuming that you must share, the best approach is to find a building that is inhabited/dominated by people who are retired and value their peace. Within that, find an apartment that is at the top of the building (no-one is above you) and at the end of a corridor (no-one is passing by). Good luck.

agroot

Post by agroot » Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:01 pm

There are posts here that mention neighbors' noise can be heard even in detached house.

When I purchase my own apartment I'll use inner walls like this: https://www.soundproofingcompany.com/so ... fing-walls It doesn't change existing structure but add walls inside existing walls with pressure absorbing material in the middle. That way you can't hear anything from outside unless they're bulldozing your home.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:35 pm

agroot wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:01 pm
There are posts here that mention neighbors' noise can be heard even in detached house.

When I purchase my own apartment I'll use inner walls like this: https://www.soundproofingcompany.com/so ... fing-walls It doesn't change existing structure but add walls inside existing walls with pressure absorbing material in the middle. That way you can't hear anything from outside unless they're bulldozing your home.
In an aparment building sound travels through ventilation channels and structural elements, no realistic amount of sound proofing can counter that.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:29 pm

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:35 pm
agroot wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:01 pm

In an aparment building sound travels through ventilation channels and structural elements, no realistic amount of sound proofing can counter that.
Depending on the age of the building, it's usually the walls that are main problem.
When you can hear through the walls what the people at the other side of the wall are talking, then soundproofing the walls can help a lot.

agroot

Post by agroot » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:28 pm

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:35 pm
The other solution I read is to make a room-inside-room, with its ceiling as well. But my primary purpose is not to stop sound from outside but to stop low-frequency sound from subwoofer that feels like ground shaking from going out - could be real at home if blocking is done :D

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:47 am

agroot wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:28 pm
But my primary purpose is not to stop sound from outside but to stop low-frequency sound from subwoofer that feels like ground shaking from going out
Thee biggest problem with subwoofers is if they are standing directly on the floor - the person in the apartment below might hear more than you do.
A little bit of rubber can help a lot.

Flipduck

Post by Flipduck » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:47 pm

ratfink wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:39 pm
Assuming that you must share, the best approach is to find a building that is inhabited/dominated by people who are retired and value their peace. Within that, find an apartment that is at the top of the building (no-one is above you) and at the end of a corridor (no-one is passing by). Good luck.
On the other side of things, they may be difficult to deal with if you don't hit the quiet time button early in the evening. I think a nicer/newer building or a detached house is really the only thing that will give you actual privacy.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:24 am

Flipduck wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:47 pm
ratfink wrote:
On the other side of things, they may be difficult to deal with if you don't hit the quiet time button early in the evening. I think a nicer/newer building or a detached house is really the only thing that will give you actual privacy.
A new apartment building doesn't help in case the neigbor has little or no consideration for others, e.g. they think parties in the middle of the night with stereos at full blast are fine until someone comes to complain about it.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:24 pm

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:24 am
Flipduck wrote:
ratfink wrote:
A new apartment building doesn't help in case the neigbor has little or no consideration for others, e.g. they think parties in the middle of the night with stereos at full blast are fine until someone comes to complain about it.
These are separate problems.

When you can hear your neighbours when they are talking with each other normally, that's a problem that might not happen in a new building.

Party noise depends on the area. When everyone else in the house is a student there will likely be problems, parties are less likely to be a problem when you are the only person under 70 in the neighbourhood.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:52 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:24 pm
FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:24 am
Flipduck wrote:

These are separate problems.

When you can hear your neighbours when they are talking with each other normally, that's a problem that might not happen in a new building.

Party noise depends on the area. When everyone else in the house is a student there will likely be problems, parties are less likely to be a problem when you are the only person under 70 in the neighbourhood.
I don't think one can categorically state that older buildings have poor noise insulation between apartments. Maybe there's a specific time in history where apartment buildings were poorly constructed in that regard, from my own anecdotal experience in the buildings I and my friends have lived, built in the late 80's, 60's, 50's, some probably also earlier, normal sounds of living aren't coming through. Then again, someone might expect or assume that practically no sound at all is ever heard from the neighbors, the stairwell or from outside, a case which cannot realistically be resolved by trying to find another apartment building to live in.