Espoo/Helsinki area advise

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
techguy2022

Post by techguy2022 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:48 pm

Hi,

I have to move to Espoo/Helsinki with my wife and kids. Please advise me on the area:

1- Which areas are the worst and I should avoid them? (crime etc)
2- Which areas are the best in rent and facilities? Cheaper rent with good bus connection and also schools nearby.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Espoo/Helsinki area advise

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:45 am

techguy2022 wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:48 pm
Hi,

I have to move to Espoo/Helsinki with my wife and kids. Please advise me on the area:

2- Which areas are the best in rent and facilities? Cheaper rent with good bus connection and also schools nearby.

Those requirements are contradictory to each other. The worst areas (with most social problems, farthest away from services,...) have the lowest rents. One major factor should be the location of your work places, you don't want to commute daily between e.g. eastern Helsinki and Espoo, unless both your home and the work place are next to the metro line. Think about the daily routines you will be having, going to school/work/hobbies, shopping,... do you have a car, or even two, or are you planning to rely on public transportation alone,... That way you should be able to hone in on general areas that would work for you, which you then can start comparing to each other.

nimap

Post by nimap » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:25 pm

techguy2022 wrote:
Hi,

Where are you coming from TechGuy2022?

It could be cultural thing to impose any living area a high crime are. Finland is safe in every corner, there aren't such criminal gangs wandering around the street, gun point robbery, looting, mass shootings, etc. Here the criminals are civilized, they wear suit and rob you from their relative offices. The highest criminal activities takes place in central Helsinki. Biggest street crimes are stolen bicycles.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:34 pm

techguy2022 wrote:

yrtti wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:53 pm
Dumb question as it varies on person to person. Maybe I would avoid some areas but you would not? Who can know.
It is not a dumb question.

Some areas are louder and have more problems with abuse of alcohol and other drugs, while other areas are more peaceful and more suitable for a family with children.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:42 pm

yrtti wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:14 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:34 pm
techguy2022 wrote:

yrtti wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:53 pm
Dumb question as it varies on person to person. Maybe I would avoid some areas but you would not? Who can know.
It is not a dumb question.

Some areas are louder and have more problems with abuse of alcohol and other drugs, while other areas are more peaceful and more suitable for a family with children.
What is loud to you might not be loud to me and every single area in Helsinki has drug problems. So it is still a stupid question.
That's just a stupid answer.

agroot

Post by agroot » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:56 pm

techguy2022 wrote:
For apartments, the entire area west and north of Central Park is as cheap as you can get in Helsinki. It's like slope/hills, covered by trees in all seasons and very quiet - almost no cars outside of widest roads.

Never heard of crimes, shouting or fighting (they do happen in east). To have a crime first you need humans and there are very few of those.

A major drawback is lack of good restaurants except Indians'. Food delivery from center costs 8-10 euros at least.