Changing surname, uniqueness requirement?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
ilmainen_siideri

Post by ilmainen_siideri » Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:36 pm

Hi,
I am planning to change my surname in Finland. I cannot take a surname that is already in use, so I will invent my own. My question is what if my invented surname differs from an existing one by just a single character? Would the Names Board decline that application?

Hypothetical example: I want to take "Jacubsen". Population register says there are 0 people with that surname, so it's okay. But there are 109 living people with surname "Jacobsen".

Älä huoli, olla onnellinen!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Changing surname, uniqueness requirement?

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:13 pm

ilmainen_siideri wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:36 pm
Hi,
I am planning to change my surname in Finland. I cannot take a surname that is already in use, so I will invent my own. My question is what if my invented surname differs from an existing one by just a single character? Would the Names Board decline that application?

Hypothetical example: I want to take "Jacubsen". Population register says there are 0 people with that surname, so it's okay. But there are 109 living people with surname "Jacobsen".
Possibly you'll find the answer from https://dvv.fi/en/changing-surname . If not, asking them will probably help, likely they have resolved similar cases before (one way or the other).

ilmainen_siideri

Post by ilmainen_siideri » Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:48 pm

I've read that page prior to posting, but haven't found the answer. Thanks for the suggestion, I will contact them via email.

ranskalaiset

Post by ranskalaiset » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:26 pm

Hey! I'm in the same situation. Have you found out about it?

ilmainen_siideri

Post by ilmainen_siideri » Sun May 08, 2022 6:03 pm

Hey!
I asked DVV customer support about this, and they told me that "two surnames with 1 letter difference are considered two different surnames". I haven't received a clear answer whether this sort of difference can be an obstacle.