Wet room renovation prices

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Dna7272

Post by Dna7272 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:49 pm

Hi folks, I am thinking about buying an apartment in Espoo built in 1972. It have had all major renovations, but it's wet room looks a little nasty.

I am thinking about renovating the wet room. I wonder how much it might cost to fully renovate it.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could share your experience with this matter. Should I even consider an apartment that needs this renovation?
Last edited by Dna7272 on Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Wet room renovation prices

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:19 am

Dna7272 wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:49 pm
Hi folks, I am thinking about buying an apartment in Espoo built in 1972. It have had all major renovations, but it's wet room looks a little nasty.

I am thinking about renovating the wet room. I wonder how much it might cost to fully renovate it.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could share your experience with this matter.
Fully renovating means re-doing all surfaces, including all the water-proofing. A few thousand euros? Ask quotes from at least a few companies, also you should be able to do some basic work yourself.

Dna7272

Post by Dna7272 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:27 am

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:19 am
Dna7272 wrote:

I would greatly appreciate it if you could share your experience with this matter.
Fully renovating means re-doing all surfaces, including all the water-proofing. A few thousand euros? Ask quotes from at least a few companies, also you should be able to do some basic work yourself.
H
Thanks, yes, I am planning a full renovation with water proofing. What's a few thousand euros? 5k, 10k or 20k? It's a little bit difficult to find information on the internet because I don't speak Finnish. So far i've found only one bathroom renovating service that has English description.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:06 am

Dna7272 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:27 am
FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Dna7272 wrote:

H
Thanks, yes, I am planning a full renovation with water proofing. What's a few thousand euros? 5k, 10k or 20k? It's a little bit difficult to find information on the internet because I don't speak Finnish. So far i've found only one bathroom renovating service that has English description.
Difficult, if not impossible, to say. "A few", as I meant it, 2000-5000€. What I meant is that the bathroom might be in good enough condition to not require much renovation (should you want to style it, that's another thing).

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:33 am

Our wet room renovation is scheduled for this spring and the price for full renovation with basic fixtures is 15k€

Dna7272

Post by Dna7272 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:11 am

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:06 am
Dna7272 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:27 am
FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:

H
Difficult, if not impossible, to say. "A few", as I meant it, 2000-5000€. What I meant is that the bathroom might be in good enough condition to not require much renovation (should you want to style it, that's another thing).
Thanks. Based on the condition of the wet room i think it's better to make a full renovation.

Dna7272

Post by Dna7272 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:13 am

heretostay wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:33 am
Our wet room renovation is scheduled for this spring and the price for full renovation with basic fixtures is 15k€
Thanks, that's a good start. 15k isn't that bad. Would it be possible to get the company's contacts?

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:58 am

Dna7272 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:13 am
heretostay wrote:
Thanks, that's a good start. 15k isn't that bad. Would it be possible to get the company's contacts?
Where are you located? I am not in capital region. This is the company we are using: https://www.oulunremonttipiste.fi/

Dna7272

Post by Dna7272 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:34 pm

heretostay wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:58 am
Dna7272 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:13 am
heretostay wrote:
Where are you located? I am not in capital region. This is the company we are using: https://www.oulunremonttipiste.fi/
Thanks for the link! It appears that the company operates in Oulu, that's not gonna work for me. I am planning to buy an apartment in Espoo.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:40 pm

Yeah. Most people here are in the capital area. I am in the Oulu area.

inkku

Post by inkku » Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:16 pm

First you need to find out what kind of instructions the housing company has for bathroom renovations. Then you need to submit the required information (most probably complete designs as well as details of the designer and the contractor) and wait for their approval. This assuming that you don't need any municipal building permit. however, as I have said elsewhere, there is a big boom now, loads of people are doing some renovation work so it is not easy to find somebody who is a) interested in a small assignment b) available now or soon. I started looking for an architect and a renovation company for a slightly bigger work, the designer I found is available in May, the company is available late summer......

network_engineer

Post by network_engineer » Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:11 pm

My two cents:

Google ´kylpyhuone remontti espoo´ ... you can pick companies from that list. Do ask at least seven to eight companies.

There are also sites, e.g. urakkamaailma where you can bid for tenders.

The prices will depend on the size of the wet space, whether you want to change the fixtures, the kind of tiles you want, if you'd like underfloor heating, etc.

Don't skim costs on the water isolation.

Do make a trip to Bauhaus, K-Rauta etc. and check the prices of the items there.

I would recommend that you ask for the labour prices and the items separately. I have often asked the prices around, and IF the contractor is able to get the products cheaper than what I find, then I ask them to get it, and for sure, I also ask for itemised bills.

Remember, that from the labour costs, you can also reduce about 60% on the taxes.

A decent contractor will communicate with the housing maintenance company (isännöitsija) on your behalf if needed.

Hope this helps.

Dna7272

Post by Dna7272 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:55 pm

network_engineer wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:11 pm
My two cents:

Google ´kylpyhuone remontti espoo´ ... you can pick companies from that list. Do ask at least seven to eight companies.

There are also sites, e.g. urakkamaailma where you can bid for tenders.

The prices will depend on the size of the wet space, whether you want to change the fixtures, the kind of tiles you want, if you'd like underfloor heating, etc.

Don't skim costs on the water isolation.

Do make a trip to Bauhaus, K-Rauta etc. and check the prices of the items there.

I would recommend that you ask for the labour prices and the items separately. I have often asked the prices around, and IF the contractor is able to get the products cheaper than what I find, then I ask them to get it, and for sure, I also ask for itemised bills.

Remember, that from the labour costs, you can also reduce about 60% on the taxes.

A decent contractor will communicate with the housing maintenance company (isännöitsija) on your behalf if needed.

Hope this helps.
Thank you very, it's a very useful website. And thanks for the tip about the tax!

agroot

Post by agroot » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:47 pm

inkku wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:16 pm
First you need to find out what kind of instructions the housing company has for bathroom renovations. Then you need to submit the required information (most probably complete designs as well as details of the designer and the contractor) and wait for their approval.
By design do you mean designing related to change of water points, electricity, ..?

Is urakkamaailma usable for designing as well or only when you clearly know how tasks are going to be carried out? Are designers and contractors usually separated or the same companies?

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:18 am

network_engineer wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:11 pm
And remember that item at the checkout does not equal item at the site ready to be installed. Sending couple of dudes in the middle of day to get some stuff from K-rauta is the most expensive way to do any renovation or building.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.