Left Finland, but still owe Vero taxes

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
clifop

Post by clifop » Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:19 pm

Last year I moved back to my home country but I continued to still work as a freelancer for a Finnish company for several months. I reported to all the necessary authorities that I had moved away from Finland permanently and what my move date was.

Because I was freelancing from my home country no taxes were deducted when I was being paid by this Finnish company. Vero now has me owing taxes on those few months even though I was residing outside of Finland.

My understanding is even though I left Finland and was working as a freelancer for a Finnish company remotely, I still owe taxes to Vero and am considered at that point a non-resident tax payer. I just want to make sure that this is indeed the case and that I am still obligated to pay Vero before I hand over a chunk of my income.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Left Finland, but still owe Vero taxes

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:23 am

clifop wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:19 pm
Last year I moved back to my home country but I continued to still work as a freelancer for a Finnish company for several months. I reported to all the necessary authorities that I had moved away from Finland permanently and what my move date was.

Because I was freelancing from my home country no taxes were deducted when I was being paid by this Finnish company. Vero now has me owing taxes on those few months even though I was residing outside of Finland.

My understanding is even though I left Finland and was working as a freelancer for a Finnish company remotely, I still owe taxes to Vero and am considered at that point a non-resident tax payer. I just want to make sure that this is indeed the case and that I am still obligated to pay Vero before I hand over a chunk of my income.
See https://www.vero.fi/en/individuals/tax- ... m_finland/

driftw00d

Re: Left Finland, but still owe Vero taxes

Post by driftw00d » Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:10 pm

Good luck, you could also call them :thumbsup: